//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 83-84 ATC 250r Swingarm Pivot Bolt Reproduction.

--
    Ahh yea, I forgot about carbon steel being stronger than bare steel (mild steel? or is that mild carbon steel?) Neat to know the heat treating doesn't really effect carbon steel much, never knew that.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
    Ahh yea, I forgot about carbon steel being stronger than bare steel (mild steel? or is that mild carbon steel?) Neat to know the heat treating doesn't really effect carbon steel much, never knew that.
    Um, not really, let me try that again. Carbon steel and mild steel are the same thing. Even the hardest and softest pieces of ferrous steel are both still carbon steel.

I think that any ferrous steel will have carbon in it, so even if it's a lowly commercial grade, or some kind of high end Samurai sword blend, it's still carbon steel and can be cut with a torch, will rust and makes sparks when you grind it. However, only certain grades of carbon steel can be additionally hardened with treatments. Some might argue that all carbon steels can be hardened, but in the case of say an A36 grade plate, the amount would be negligible. However, something like a "carbon steel" 4140 rod can be hardened to the point that it's almost impossible to machine it (think counter sprocket).

I should add that these grades and numbers like A36 and 4140 I've mentioned will differ between flat plate and round bars. They might have totally different numbers, but might be made of the same steel.

Only a metallurgist with a chemical certificate for the metal in-hand can tell you what properties it has, how it can be transformed and what the resulting properties would be afterwards.
    It sucks to get old

--
    Ahh ok, that makes a lot of sense. I was thinking mild steel and carbon steel was the same. I figured the different numbers on the steel is like AL and stainless, just different mixes to make the material. Only thing I knew about carbon and steel was a black smiting video I watched a while ago, basically the more they put the steel in the charcoal fire, the harder/stronger the steel became (more carbon was absorbed into the steel from my understanding).

It's almost weird being the newb not knowing things very well for once and having things explained well to me =D. Kind of sounds like an ego, but not intended that way, I just don't poke around subjects I don't know well very often.

--
    This is where a guy like me who knows just enough to be dangerous gets himself into trouble. I vaguely remember now reading about the stainless axle having issues. Good info fellas. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

--
    That was going to be my 02 cents also. I am the exact farthest thing from a metallurgist ? but have heard stainless is a Nono in stressful situations. That bolt looks spot on Byran, superb work.
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

--
    I really need one of these bolts if you still make them ..let me know

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //