//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 250r restoration

--

250r restoration

This one is going to be a showcase bike - it will never see mud/dirt again.

My 250r restoration has now started the buildup stage. I figured I would post pics of my progress as it gets completed. The first step was tear down and powder the frame.

This was basic red from the local powdercoater - was not a special ordered color and I think it was a very close match. Powder cost me 250 with all the red mounts and gloss black foot pegs/brake lever. Pricey but was a very quick turn around.

Just focusing on chassis right now- engine is last.

Parts that are going on as new:
    new oem plastics - shrouds, fenders (all came with bike - no scratches at all)
    new oem tires - rear ohtsus and front dunlop - not on yet
    new headlight switch
    new honda grab bar
    new bolt kit
    new stickers - oem where avail.
    new bearings - rear carrier, swingarm
    new honda fork boots

Reconditioned items:
    repainted handlebars
    polished forks
    polished oldschool dg type 2 silencer
    repaint exhaust
    repainted swingarm gold - new pro link decals
    black parts - painting odds and ends as needed

enjoy - here are the before of the frame
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p1010001.jpg   p1010003.jpg   p1010006.jpg  

--
    some pics after the powder
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p1010005.jpg   p1010007.jpg   p1010012.jpg  

--
    dont mind the mess in the background -
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p1010011.jpg   p1010010.jpg   p1010014.jpg  

Dusty is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    very very nice
    My Trikes
    1985 ATC 250r (MX Project)
    1985 ATC 70 (with pit bike motor)
    1983 ATC 110
    1984 225dx
    2005 SDG 110 Pit Bike

OTC Tride & True

Past Trikes
    1985 ATC 70
    1984 200s Almost Mint(stolen in 99)have pics of her..
    1983 YTM 200

--
    Holy crap that thing is MINT!!!! Nice work!!
    "I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience." -Patrick Henry

NEW ENGLAND ATC owners please join!:http://www.3wheelerworld.com/group.php?groupid=27

--
    thanks

It won't be perfect but as near perfect as I can get it with the money allocated. The seat is in excellent condition and the tank has been hand buffed with Novas plastic cleaner. Other than that all plastics are new. Axle and rear end is next to get to a roller.

Just opened the engine up last night and it all looks to be good. Looks like I will only need a gasket kit and hopefully just a set of rings. more pics to come.

edog is offline I'm like an Original Gangsta...but a post whore instead. The day begins with 3WW
    --
    That is very nice.My friend just got done restoring his 1986 250R.Here is a pic.

I hope to get the end of July off so we all can go riding.I will let you know within the next week.
    Last edited by edog; 02-18-2007 at 04:53 PM.

--
    I figured Id update this post since i am traveling this week and bored in the hotel room.

Well - its been a long road to this point. With the tecate project and tri-zs breaking down lately. the 3 wheeler hobby is taking a toll on the wallet. I had a lot of issues with the swinger bolt and rear bearing carrier on this 250r- thats what you get from an original bike that has never been taken apart.

Cost me 75 dollars and two weeks to get the local honda shop to press out the bearing carrier - they did not want to do the work cause it was over 15 years old. I swear they do not know what they are doing - they acted like they never took a solid axle apart before. Complained everytime i talked to them to cover themselves from any problems.They actually told me i needed to buy a new axle- whatever. I hate it when people that are supposed experts in the their trade want nothing but new models to work on.

After a new swinger and paint , new bearing carrier, bearings and lock nut assembly, I have a rear end again.

So it is about 90% done, with only minor things to finish like the rear brakes put on and axle aligned to install chain.

The motor i did not paint to keep the some of the original state of the bike, plus the honda paint is more durable anyways.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010048.JPG   P1010050.JPG   P1010051.JPG  

--
    Excellent job brrcuda looks fantastic i love seeing the 250rs brought back to life there seem to be more people getting into this even here in Australia...well done mate !

Cheers
    Aussie
    Keeping 3 Wheelers Alive Downunder !

--
    Damn Paul that looks fantastic! I know dumping the $$$ can be tough, believe me....... Now it looks like I should buy a new axle because this is the second time mine has been straightended so it's proubly lost a decent amount of it's strength...... Another $200 hahaha

At least your 250R is gonna stay shiny for the rest of it's life!
    "I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience." -Patrick Henry

NEW ENGLAND ATC owners please join!:http://www.3wheelerworld.com/group.php?groupid=27

--
    Wow. That looks awesome, how about some glamour shots for my desktop lol.
    1984 Honda 250R
    1985 ATC 250SX
    1985 Tri-Z 250
    1983 Honda 250R
    1986 Honda 350X
    1983 Yamaha Tri-Moto 175
    1983 Honda Big Red 200

1981 Honda ATC 110

breastman569 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    what kind of paint did you use for the singarm?

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //