//ArrowChat Code

Thread: help timing a ytm 200 shaft driven trike

--

help timing a ytm 200 shaft driven trike

I've never worked on Yamaha trikes and my friend just tore his down due to low compression and it smoked bad. I tried to help him time it but wasn't able to get it running for more that 30 seconds. Please help enlighten me on the ytm timing cause I'm stumped. I told him to get a Honda and he got mad.

--
    1)Remove timing plug out of crankcase.
    2)Line up the T on the flywheel with the mark in the plug hole.
    3)Make sure the chain is meshed on the sproket on the crankshaft correctly
    4)On the cam sprocket, there is a mark. You line that mark up on it with the fixed point on the head. (at the top).
    5)Make sure the camshaft is pointed up in the same way as the sprocket.
    6)Slide the cam sprocket into the chain and make sure the mark is still pointing at the fixed point and that you are still in line with the T (top dead center) on the flywheel.
    7)put the cam sprocket onto the end of the camshaft and put the cam sprocket bolt in finger tight.
    8)rotate the crankshaft 360 degrees and line the timing plug hole up with the T on the flywheel. Check to see if the cam sprocket still lines up with the fixed point, if not start at step one.
    9)if it lines up, put the timing plug back in and MAKE SURE YOU TIGHTEN THE CAM SPROCKET BOLT!!
    10)If that fails, go to your Yamaha dealer
    11)ask him to order you a M394 Clymer manual
    12)its very helpful
    13)tells you what I said here pretty well

That's off the top of my head, did I miss anything?
    Any questions?
    Last edited by Yamahauler; 09-22-2005 at 12:31 AM.

--
    I was told by the previous owner he lined it up with the f on the bottom and then the line on the cam sprocket with the mark on the head. I will give it a go again tomorrow and see if it works. I thought it would be like a honda and tried about the same way except with the f mark instead as told. Thanks

--
    Huffa was telling me about that F mark, I think you use it when you use a timing light to time it.

--
    Oh crap how about the valce clearance??? I don't know what 200cc Yamaha's call for on clearance but that might be a problem too. I'm not sure if my friend messed with it.

--
    valve clearances

intake -> .05-.09 mm (.002-.004 in)
    exhaust -> .11-.15 mm (.0043-.006 in)

--
    Sweet I thought they'd be different since most other Yamaha's are. Nothing like the old Honda ATC's. Thanks alot for your time and knowledge.

YTM200BOY is offline All your base are belong to us???? Arm chair racerNew to the board
    --
    I Fell Your Pain I Got A Shaft Electric No Revrse Ytm200 It Pisses Me Off. It Floods Gas Out Of The Carb Alot And Its A Pain In The Ass!!!!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by YTM200BOY
    I Fell Your Pain I Got A Shaft Electric No Revrse Ytm200 It Pisses Me Off. It Floods Gas Out Of The Carb Alot And Its A Pain In The Ass!!!!
    Here's some quick pain relief for you.
    #1 Buy a manual
    #2 Fix your trike
    A whole bunch of trikes.

--
    I was just able to get the old ytm 200 to run. I know your float is sticking or the valve is cause this ytm 200 did the same thing. It was pouring gas into the crank case and I went to check the timing by the timing hole and lit a lighter to see and it blew up in my face . I just about sh!t myself and burned a little bit of hair on my face. I'd fix that carb if I were you cause if the gas is leaking as bad as this was then it can ignite below the piston rather than in the combustion chamber. Not a good thing to happen and should be fixed quick. Just take your carb apart and adjust the float so that it seats right.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by brendan802
    I was just able to get the old ytm 200 to run. I know your float is sticking or the valve is cause this ytm 200 did the same thing. It was pouring gas into the crank case and I went to check the timing by the timing hole and lit a lighter to see and it blew up in my face . I just about sh!t myself and burned a little bit of hair on my face. I'd fix that carb if I were you cause if the gas is leaking as bad as this was then it can ignite below the piston rather than in the combustion chamber. Not a good thing to happen and should be fixed quick. Just take your carb apart and adjust the float so that it seats right.
    I couldn't agree more.
    A whole bunch of trikes.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //