//ArrowChat Code

Thread: WTB YTM225DX Carb

--

WTB YTM225DX Carb

As the title states, I’m looking for a salvageable 1985 compatible Yamaha YTM225DX carb. My friend has a Chinese repop carb in his Yamaha and it’s pitiful, I can clean/salvage just about anything if it doesn’t have holes corroded through the body or severe carnage. If it’s dirty, or somewhat corroded I can handle that. Checked eBay and no luck, my friend tried Facebook and got a few hits but no call backs. We rode three wheelers last week and every time he tried to let his idle it would stall, way too rich.

I’ve adjusted the needle clip position and idle AF/R screw and gotten the Chinese carb better but it’s still nowhere near right.

Thanks in advanced!
    1979 ATC110
    1983 ATC200X
    1985 ATC70
    1986 ATC125M

--
    It may not have been completely finished, as in final machining.

I've ran into that. No amount of fidling you do will have the proper response.

Pull the carb and look into the air circuits. If it looks stepped down it's probably not finished. Check the rest of it too, and see if every hole looks like it was machined all the way through to the fuel circuits. Without enough air in those circuits, it'll run like that.

If you can't locate an OEM carb, that's your next best option. It's possible to get a Chinese carb like these working ok many times, it's just such a headache when an OEM carb is bolt-on and go.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ATC King View Post
    It may not have been completely finished, as in final machining.

I've ran into that. No amount of fidling you do will have the proper response.

Pull the carb and look into the air circuits. If it looks stepped down it's probably not finished. Check the rest of it too, and see if every hole looks like it was machined all the way through to the fuel circuits. Without enough air in those circuits, it'll run like that.

If you can't locate an OEM carb, that's your next best option. It's possible to get a Chinese carb like these working ok many times, it's just such a headache when an OEM carb is bolt-on and go.
    Yes, that’s been my experience. The jet numbering system also seems to be totally arbitrary with the Chinese carbs. It’s a crapshoot trying to jet one.

The 225DX apparently came with a Mikuni VM24SS. A universal VM24 carb is available, but the slide cutaway, needle, needle jet and air bleed jets were surely all spec’d by Yamaha and wouldn’t match the universal model just right. Other differences like enrichener pluger location, fuel and bowl vent ports are also likely different.

I’m sure someone out there has the proper carb, just a matter of reaching that person and working the details out!
    1979 ATC110
    1983 ATC200X
    1985 ATC70
    1986 ATC125M

--
    Stock jets in a Chinese carb are just a starting point.

Because there's so many variables in how the carb works, meters fuel and air, if the Chinese carb isn't exactly the same as OEM, stock jets likely still won't have the carb tuned correctly.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //