//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Aftermarket frame atc90 for $250? Yes please!

Homeless Dave is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

Aftermarket frame atc90 for $250? Yes please!

Picked this rig up for cheap, saw it was an aftermarket frame and had to have it. Definitely was someone’s hot rod in its day. I’m guessing it had a decent engine back then, but now has a stock points 110 in it. Has no spark, but guessing points are dirty, and one screw is stripped. So I need to drill it out and get the cover off. It’s going to get a budget resto and hopefully some metallic flake, and some 70s stripes. If you happen to know what the frame is, please let me know.
    Also, looking for input on the plate mounted on the rear fender. Is it an aftermarket part or some homemade thing?

Not to many of these things in the upper Midwest, this thing came out of a shed north of Minneapolis! Was worth a nearly 10 hour round trip tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Currently : trx400fw, ct70, 250es,200x, xl80s, 350x, 350x, Trx250X,ALT185

--
    Nice find. Are you going to keep this engine in it or are you planning to go bigger?

--
    Very nice , looks like a Pauter frame , the fender plate was supposed to stop the rear fenders from cracking and they also have that cool look factor .
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

Homeless Dave is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    The current plan for the engine is hop it up just a bit. Have a cam, pipe, and 22mm carb set up for it. Really excited about this one!

Footy is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    That is a great find! Best of luck on the build.
    Put your butt on the inside fender or end up on the ground!

TRX450ER
    ATC250SX
    ATC350X
    ATC110
    ATC185S
    XR100R
    CRF230F
    Raptor 125
    Breeze 125
    Grizzly700

--
    You got a deal, for sure.

Have you looked into the cost of CDI 110 engine performance parts?

I think you'd be better off doing a stock engine rebuild and focusing on period correct aesthetics. Paint the plastic fenders in colors similar to the late 70's early 80's, use a seat cover with black vinyl side and multi-colored pleated top. I don't think that old fabric seat top is going to last long if you ride it, but I'd remove and save it. Maybe someone would buy it for the vintage factor, but it's not a riding seat.

There's probably not many options for a true performance cam for the later 110 engine, most are for the older points version. Besides, the real performance builds in the day used the manual clutch engines from the small Honda trail bikes.

It looks like you'll need another exhaust regardless, because the one on it looks meant for the in-frame stock units. $200+ for an exhaust on a mild engine build is completely wasted, it won't make anywhere near full race power and you'll loose a lot of bottom end, which is what makes those trikes fun for regular riding. Buy and inexpensive pit bike exhaust and make it fit.

22mm carb? I haven't measured the I.D. of a stock 110 intake in a while and don't remember, but if the carb is larger than the intake, it won't go any good and may cause tuning problems.

An otherwise stock engine with a slight increase in compression is the best bang for the buck. No big bore nonsense, just more pop.

Replacing the steel wheels for aluminum will also make it quicker. It's not all about power, it's how it gets to the ground.

To build an actual high performance machine out of that would be $$$ in today's economy and if you aren't racing, there's little point. Keep it mostly stock and enjoyable to ride without the headache of focusing on increasing engine power.

All my opinions, so ignore what you like. I just think unless someone got a turn-key, vintage 110 'race' trike, they're better off going for the look than engine shenanigans nowadays. Sacrilege, but one of the import 125-150 engines will make more power for less cost than what you could build, while very likely being longer lasting.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    I’m not building a machine to ride, it will be a sit and stare at it type of thing. I have enough things to ride, just want one that’s unique and super old school.
    As for some of the performance stuff I have an old intake that’s meant for a 22-23mm carb. I intend to use a big Al’s chrome pipe for it. Lots of cool old parts that I’ve found over the last few years
    Now if I could just find a set of turbo wheels…

--
    Roger.

Until you get those turbo wheels, at least it still has the two pieces steels. Those are great for custom color schemes.

Both halves different colors with the accents of the center rings in others. I think I don't some in black, with the center rings in gold. In hindsight, I should have put a gold pinstripe on the rim edge. Some others I done in black with red splatter paint.

The best part of the two piece wheels is they don't have a drop center, so when they're custom painted, especially with a design, it looks more uniform. Also because of that, if someone wanted to include decals in the design, they'll lay down much better and won't be visually distorted.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Homeless Dave View Post
    I’m not building a machine to ride, it will be a sit and stare at it type of thing. I have enough things to ride, just want one that’s unique and super old school.
    As for some of the performance stuff I have an old intake that’s meant for a 22-23mm carb. I intend to use a big Al’s chrome pipe for it. Lots of cool old parts that I’ve found over the last few years
    Now if I could just find a set of turbo wheels…

Good morning Dave, Nice score. That is a Pauter frame. FYI I have aftermarket parts available for the 90-110 platform. Turbo wheels , along with many other parts. PM me if you have any interest . JW
    * 1970 US90 Red
    * 1978 ATC 90/180 Helm&Son, Bandito /3D springer. ( Spaghetti Winder )
    * 1978 ATC 90/128 Bandito / Ace Williams Springer.
    * 1980 ATC 110/ ? Helm&Son, Dickson Full Suspended
    * 1981 ATC 110 MTC Full Supended
    * 1985 ATC 200s
    *1986 ATC 250R/310 2"+ Westcoast Swinger

http://www.ebay.com/usr/jwheeler760

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwheeler View Post
    Good morning Dave, Nice score. That is a Pauter frame. FYI I have aftermarket parts available for the 90-110 platform. Turbo wheels , along with many other parts. PM me if you have any interest . JW
    I will PM you about a set of turbo wheels for sure, a set of those would be the perfect touch for what I have in mind.
    I’ll re-reply when I send you one. Will be a few weeks, getting married this coming weekend and then go on my honeymoon, so be a while before I have any free time.

--
    Nice one. We used to use frames similar in Australia, normally 2-3" longer. Used to run the old US90 balloon tyres. I had one with the engine bored and stroked to 180cc, later we put an XL125 crankshaft in them and an XL175 head/barrel. Then had them out as high as 310cc. I only had a 250cc one though, had a 750/4 carby on it. Was a screamer, really hard to ride though and used to tear the centres out of the balloon tyres. Was dangerous unless you were on flat sand. The 180cc engine was pretty good, it pulled like a train.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //