//ArrowChat Code

Thread: New in AK (Good or Bad Price??)

--

New in AK (Good or Bad Price??)

I am about to pull the trigger on my first 3 wheeler! So my question is what is a fair price for a 84' Big Red 200ES in good condition with new shaft, tires, and a pull along utility trailer. I cannot go look at it in person as its a long ferry ride away. They seem to be using it for work around their property and keep it stored under cover out of the weather (live on the water front). So just some minor surface rust here and there all pieces are there and runs good. They are asking $2000.00 for it. Is that a fair price or????

--
    Is it a Hondaline Utility trailer?

It seems like they stored it and maintained it.....new tires alone are like $200. If it's complete and looks nice I would do it. Some people (me included) get things on the cheap then spend a long time working on it and end up paying thousands.... it's better to get one ready for duty.

In today's prices, $2000 seems fair for a nice complete rig. An Ebike is $2000... a couple of days at Disneyland for a family of 4 is $2000....an airbnb for a week is $2000... what isn't $2000 anymore?

Good luck and post some pictures if you can

--

Thanks for Reply

Not a Honda Trailer but appears to be in great shape (will try and upload some pics). I am going to buy it. Seems like a fair price to me for what it is. Thanks for your response.

Quote Originally Posted by knappyfeet View Post

It seems like they stored it and maintained it.....new tires alone are like $200. If it's complete and looks nice I would do it. Some people (me included) get things on the cheap then spend a long time working on it and end up paying thousands.... it's better to get one ready for duty.

In today's prices, $2000 seems fair for a nice complete rig. An Ebike is $2000... a couple of days at Disneyland for a family of 4 is $2000....an airbnb for a week is $2000... what isn't $2000 anymore?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Big Red 1.1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	271503   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Big Red 2.2.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	271505  

--

Trailer

See if I can get the trailer pic to attach.

Quote Originally Posted by knappyfeet View Post

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trailer.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	271506  

--
    Without an experienced trike person to look at it in person, there's no way to value it.

There's so much stuff that needs looked at, especially with the low availability of many replacement parts and the prices for NOS ones.

From the pictures, the center part of the rack is missing, the forks are very likely shot, and it looks like there's zip ties in the rear fender.

With the center of the rack missing, the cover for the tool box will end up broken, if not already. Look up 200ES forks and feast yer eyes on those problems and a total lack of new parts available, they're not rebuildable.

What about the U-joints, the final drive gears? That can get expensive really quick. If it's been in a lot of snow, water, and mud, those parts will take a hit if not meticulously maintained.

Good luck finding a new OEM clutch drum if that one is worn, same with the brake drums. New shoes in worn drums won't help anything.

OEM or Chinese carb? Has air filter maintenance been kept up? Steering bearings loose?

Even though they're relatively simple machines, if it's not an honest turn-key type of trike, the money needed to fix it proper can quickly outpace it's value.

It's no different than most other vehicles. They need a thorough looking over by a very experienced person if someone is to get what they're paying for.

This isn't the 90's anymore, trikes can suck up serious money to properly repair and they're not a dime a dozen like they used to be.

In the grand scheme of things, $2,000 is squat, but will that purchase what you think it is? A buddy of mine just spent $2,000 on motorcycle wheels, but those are custom and new, and also not the most expensive, but pretty nice. He got what he paid for, with a warranty.

If you're set on it an will grit through the problems, then what's two grand? $2,000 can turn into three or more in a hurry. If you're going to buy it anyway, it doesn't matter, but you can't complain if it's not what you were hoping.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //