//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 350x ecu ecm

--

350x ecu ecm

do the cheap ones on ebay work or do the ricks one work ?

--
    It's not any type of ECM. It's a dumb electronic box.

Besides, it's far past time for any questions like that. Chinese bargain priced products are junk, and could damage the engine.

Ricks? It's a reputable company and if you have an issue, they should stand behind it. The problem I have with the 'racing' CDIs is the higher RPM rev limiter. A stock engine peaks well before max RPM and there's no reason to rev it past that. Even a 'built' engine won't operate outside of physics, so spinning it faster, without some serious balancing, is going to decrease engine longevity. There's now gains to be had from spinning a stock engine faster and depending on the build, it may even decrease the engine's max safe RPM.

At this point, there's several aftermarket programmable ignitions that should get a first look. No, I can't recommend any for the 350X, because most everyone is stuck on thinking the basic ones are the way to go and nobody I know has put the effort into incorporating a quality, programmable CDI.

If you just want it to run, go with the Rick's.

If you want it to run the best, research the aftermarket programmable ones.

Having a robust, adaptive, automatic ignition is what separates WWI tech from post WWII tech. Ignition timing in a gasoline engine is a major performance factor, otherwise, go back to having a manual ignition timing adjustment on the handlebars, like the 'good ol' days' (which weren't as good as we have it now).

Maybe you can install points into a 350X, but I don't know. It takes money and ingenuity once new OEM parts are no longer available, and I would never pay the price most people want for a 40yo, used CDI now. They're just moments away from turding out.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    I have a 400EX CDI on my 86 350X. It is plug and play on mine.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //