//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 1981 250R resto-mod

--

1981 250R resto-mod

Wanted to start a build thread on my project.

I picked this bike up in tucson AZ. Was told it had a rebuilt 300. They tried to use a polaris piston in it, which was the wrong compression height. Needless to say it didnt run right.

I decided to take the motor down and have the crank rebuilt. I did quite a bit of research and found a shop out in California that had a 300R Wossner 77mm piston, the only one left from a batch they had made. The 300 has some mild port work, and (the only one ive ever seen) a S&S Headers expansion chamber.

After pulling the motor i stripped it to the frame and gave it a fresh coat of red. I cut the swinger apart and stretched it 3”.

New seat cover, new plastic, PWK38.

Planning to powdercoat much of the parts. Not going for show, but a nice rider. Trying to recreate an early race bike. I love the look of the Selvy 250R.

--

--
    Played around with some powder. Ive got Candy gold coming for the swinger and triples.

One of the best tools ive purchased has been a Redline powdercoating gun!!

Footy is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Looks good! First time I have ever seen a supertrapp on a 2 stroke.
    Put your butt on the inside fender or end up on the ground!

TRX450ER
    ATC250SX
    ATC350X
    ATC110
    ATC185S
    XR100R
    CRF230F
    Raptor 125
    Breeze 125
    Grizzly700

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Footy View Post
    Looks good! First time I have ever seen a supertrapp on a 2 stroke.
    Thanks, it was something i had on the shelf for an XT600 i used to own.

Blasted and put the base coat of chrome on the swinger and triples.

--
    It was pretty difficult to get an even coating of the translucent candy gold. Had to go pretty thick. Came out ok i think.

--
    Fitting some parts while i wait to get my crank and 300 cylinder back from the machine shop.

--
    Looks good ! It’s amazing how much time goes into these projects when you have to do something to each & every part, but satisfying when it all starts to come together.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by sjsst41 View Post
    Looks good ! It’s amazing how much time goes into these projects when you have to do something to each & every part, but satisfying when it all starts to come together.
    I wasn’t planning on going quite this deep but every thing i took apart was trashed

The shock was leaking a bit of oil around the bladder, cleaned it up and with a bit of grease around the sealing surface it held a nitrogen charge again, until the hose blew. Substituted a 10,000 psi rated grease gun whip for that.

Forks stripped down for seals, of course all the teflons are trashed as well. Wheel bearings shot. Brakes missing. Polaris piston in a worn out 76.5 bore. Crank bearings toast. List goes on!

--
    Found that a sprocket for a XL175 uses the same bolt pattern. JT sells a 38T under 30 bucks.

Put the brake together.

--
    Repaired a few cracks in the front wheel, mounted the sprocket and shock reservoir, and got the bottom end put together.

--
    Man I'm loving this build.
    250r rules

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //