//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Tri z chappy red

--

Tri z chappy red

I got this touch up paint and it seems too orange to me what do you guys think

Supposed to be Yamaha chappy red

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    [/SIGPIC]
    85 350x
    83 200x-sold
    ×2 85 200x-sold
    06 kx250f-sold
    86 tecate-sold
    86 tri z powervalved
    85 BIG red
    18 rmz250
    87 lt80
    19 ttr110

--
    It does look a bit too orange to me as well, but I'm going from memory on what the Tri-Z red is supposed to look like. I assume you have no red, Tri-Z parts to compare it to?
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    It does look a bit too orange to me as well, but I'm going from memory on what the Tri-Z red is supposed to look like. I assume you have no red, Tri-Z parts to compare it to?
    I don’t. The red I had on it was a random red I put on that I matched to a tri z picture. It looked closer than this stuff.

[/SIGPIC]
    85 350x
    83 200x-sold
    ×2 85 200x-sold
    06 kx250f-sold
    86 tecate-sold
    86 tri z powervalved
    85 BIG red
    18 rmz250
    87 lt80
    19 ttr110

--
    It’s hard to tell from the pictures, but I’m guessing you didn’t use a primer underneath that red, or if you did, it was the wrong primer.

If you want red, yellow, or any other light color to pop you need to go with a high-quality white primer, if you want to tone it down and make it a little darker, you can use a light gray primer, but if you don’t use any primer at all, you can shoot 50 cans of that red onto your frame and it’s still not gonna look good.
    It sucks to get old

--
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    It’s hard to tell from the pictures, but I’m guessing you didn’t use a primer underneath that red, or if you did, it was the wrong primer.

If you want red, yellow, or any other light color to pop you need to go with a high-quality white primer, if you want to tone it down and make it a little darker, you can use a light gray primer, but if you don’t use any primer at all, you can shoot 50 cans of that red onto your frame and it’s still not gonna look good.
    No I didn’t. This was just testing the paint. Don’t ask me why I tested it on the frame and not another piece of metal. I’m still asking myself that. But I sent a picture to the ones that mixed the paint and they just refunded me and said they have to look into the mix.

[/SIGPIC]
    85 350x
    83 200x-sold
    ×2 85 200x-sold
    06 kx250f-sold
    86 tecate-sold
    86 tri z powervalved
    85 BIG red
    18 rmz250
    87 lt80
    19 ttr110

--
    I don’t know if this will help, but I remember the 1982 Toyota Celica red being very similar to the red on the Yamaha YZ’s that came out with the European white and red colours in Canada that year.
    It sucks to get old

--
    I don’t know if this will help, but I remember the 1982 Toyota Celica red being very similar to the red on the Yamaha YZ’s that came out with the European white and red colours in Canada that year.
    I found on another forum that gm torch red is an exact match to the chappy red. I’m going to go pick up a few cans tomorrow. I’m no painter what is a good way to prep the frame? Everything I paint always chips easy.

[/SIGPIC]
    85 350x
    83 200x-sold
    ×2 85 200x-sold
    06 kx250f-sold
    86 tecate-sold
    86 tri z powervalved
    85 BIG red
    18 rmz250
    87 lt80
    19 ttr110

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 6spdls1z28 View Post
    I found on another forum that gm torch red is an exact match to the chappy red. I’m going to go pick up a few cans tomorrow. I’m no painter what is a good way to prep the frame? Everything I paint always chips easy.

How nice do you want it, or maybe the question is how much do you want to spend?

I can tell you that those $15 spray cans can really add up on a frame, probably need to buy at least 6 cans to do a half arsed job and a dozen to cover it properly AND the can quality is because they can’t put hardeners in them (they could, but you’d need to use them within an hour of mixing).

Give me a budget and I’ll be happy to guide you through it.
    It sucks to get old

--
    How nice do you want it, or maybe the question is how much do you want to spend?

I can tell you that those $15 spray cans can really add up on a frame, probably need to buy at least 6 cans to do a half arsed job and a dozen to cover it properly AND the can quality is because they can’t put hardeners in them (they could, but you’d need to use them within an hour of mixing).

Hey sorry I missed this message. I ended up sandblasting the frame cleaning it all with acetone then using self etching primer and 4 cans of paint and 1 clear coat it came out really good I’m pretty happy with it.

[/SIGPIC]
    85 350x
    83 200x-sold
    ×2 85 200x-sold
    06 kx250f-sold
    86 tecate-sold
    86 tri z powervalved
    85 BIG red
    18 rmz250
    87 lt80
    19 ttr110

--
    Here’s a picture of the other side.

Btw I got the 6 speed transmission in it finally. Man this thing is a beast!

[/SIGPIC]
    85 350x
    83 200x-sold
    ×2 85 200x-sold
    06 kx250f-sold
    86 tecate-sold
    86 tri z powervalved
    85 BIG red
    18 rmz250
    87 lt80
    19 ttr110

--
    The color looks much better now, when comparing it to the first pics. Sweet!
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    The color looks much better now, when comparing it to the first pics. Sweet!
    Thanks! I’m really happy with it. The gm torch red is spot on!

[/SIGPIC]
    85 350x
    83 200x-sold
    ×2 85 200x-sold
    06 kx250f-sold
    86 tecate-sold
    86 tri z powervalved
    85 BIG red
    18 rmz250
    87 lt80
    19 ttr110

Footy is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Looks great! I assume this is the machine that you got the 6 speed gearbox for a while back?
    My first motorcycle was like that Indian 50 seen in your photo. Mine was silver/gray colored.
    Made by itailjet I think but sold as an Indian.
    Put your butt on the inside fender or end up on the ground!

TRX450ER
    ATC250SX
    ATC350X
    ATC110
    ATC185S
    XR100R
    CRF230F
    Raptor 125
    Breeze 125
    Grizzly700

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Footy View Post
    Looks great! I assume this is the machine that you got the 6 speed gearbox for a while back?
    My first motorcycle was like that Indian 50 seen in your photo. Mine was silver/gray colored.
    Made by itailjet I think but sold as an Indian.
    Thank you! Yes this is the one I got the 6 speed for. This was my first bike too it’s been in the family for almost 50 years. Was my brothers passed down to me I just recently pulled it down from the ceiling in the garage where it was hanging for 20 years. My son is riding it and we will keep passing it down. It was originally a yellow one but my dad had it painted that maroon in the late 70s early 80s

[/SIGPIC]
    85 350x
    83 200x-sold
    ×2 85 200x-sold
    06 kx250f-sold
    86 tecate-sold
    86 tri z powervalved
    85 BIG red
    18 rmz250
    87 lt80
    19 ttr110