//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Independent rear suspension road legal Honda 200m

--

Cool Independent rear suspension road legal Honda 200m

Oh hey Guys 👋.

I apologize for no pics but I cannot post attachments yet.
    I also apologize if I offend more than 1 community on this one 🥲

Just Wanted to Share a little project I have been working on.
    For at Least 15 years now I have wanted an independent rear suspension Honda 3 wheeler ( rediculouse I know ). But having been around 3 wheelers my whole life I have never seen it.
    After some years of trying different designs, I realized it is for good reason. A 3 wheeler frame is to narrow, to short. And overall not designed for it. No matter what bracing you seem to add.

So I went around the problem. And took something with the design part already Handled. A 1993 Suzuki Quad Runner 250!
    I was able to pick up a running, driving example of one for only 300$ Canadian due to the guy breaking the intake stud in the head. And the plastics being shot. But everything else about the qaud is day 1 new. Good start.

Next I got myself a 1984 atc 200m . And let the cutting begin.

The front of the Quadrunner is actually designed very well for fabrication. Where the cuts landed left a nice flat plate up top to weld to. And the ATC downtube is at the perfect angle to line up with the origonal middle skid plate.

I am shooting for a factory look with this machine. So the more things line up right off the bat the better. And everything has been good so far.
    The reason I am Using a Honda front end? In the Province in Canada Where I live. Not only can you register a Honda 3 wheeler offroad and plated.
    But ROAD LEGAL as a motorcycle as well. I know...... insane. But I double and triple checked. As long as the bike was never pre registered offroad. You can do it.
    Hence the machine now having a Honda Vin

I have been to the point of sitting on the machine ( not finish welded). What a different feel right off the bat. It will be interesting to ride for the first time.
    But for now the machine has been blown apart for finish welding. And then it will be stripped and off to powder coat.

There are not many custom parts for a quadrunner to begin with so creativity is #1 on this project. With a 300 head on it the machine will push 65 mph.

Should be an interesting machine when finished. Hoping to have done before the future Trike Fest ❤

To see footage of the machine you can go to my YouTube channel @SteveTheCanadian to see updates.
    When I can add pictures here I will for sure.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveTheC View Post
    The front of the Quadrunner is actually designed very well for fabrication

That's a bit of an understatement, because there's nothing in the front, since the engine is stuffed into the hindquarters. Maybe a the frame was intended to hold a lunchbox.

I don't think I'd be brave enough to ride one of those at 65mph. They were smooth riding and hard working machines but handled like an abstract manatee. You're probably going to need a good anti-sway bar setup because the frame roll will be even worse on a trike. It's likely to cause some strange steering characteristics too. Putting it onto an ATV lift and letting the suspension droop, the angle of the wheels is a little comical, tuck and roll. That's just the way a minimalist independent suspension design works.

I hope you keep all 20 of the gear levers on the 'tank'. They looked like an excavator engineer got demoted to ATVs, and didn't take to it well.

Good luck and I'll keep checking back for pictures.

About the license thing, there was a guy last year or the one before, who was riding his ATC across Canada but got shut down, a good bit into his ride I think. It was about the road legality, or something like that. You may want to check his story out. His trip was on the news and at least a few forums, not all ATV forums either.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //