//ArrowChat Code

Thread: very new to three wheelers, help

--

very new to three wheelers, help

my 1985 110 is making a grinding noise whenever I shift and refuses to go into gear, it also is rarely starts without using starting fluid. what do I need to do to fix this thing. I apologize if this question has already been asked im just very new to these things and know very little about them. anything helps

--
    Welcome to the forum. Firstly you would need to get that carb off and give it a proper clean, make sure all the jets are clean and free, use carb cleaner and compressed air. Don't get carb cleaner on the rubber parts especially the float bowl seal. With regards to the shift issues, you would need to either adjust your clutch or tear into it, but try adjusting it first, have a look here: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...tch-adjustment
    1983 Honda ATC250R
    1983 Honda ATC200E BIG RED (sold)
    1984 Honda ATC200E BIG RED
    1984 Honda ATC200X (sold)
    1985 Honda ATC70 x 2
    1985 Honda ATC250ES BIG RED
    1988 Honda ATC250ES BIG RED
    1995 Honda Frankentrike 50cc 2-stroke
    2001 Honda TRX90
    2004 Honda TRX300EX (sold)
    2008 Honda TRX250TM
    1976 Suzuki RV90M (sold)
    1967 Vespa Primavera 125
    1958 Massey Ferguson 35

ScreaminRed is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Download a shop manual here: https://www.manualslib.com/products/...0-3948168.html. Always good to have!
    '83 Big Red
    '85 350X
    '86 350X
    '06 CBR1000
    '08 Road King
    '11 Electra glide Ultra Classic

My feedback thread: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...or-ScreaminRed

--
    Hi there,

I agree with everything said above, give that carb a good clean & have good look over the shop manual.

I'd also add buy a new spark plug, they're cheap and a good strong clean spark is always what you're aiming for.

Make sure it's the right one, the store you buy from may be able to do this ie. look up the correct plug numbers in their catalog or, for extra piece of mind, look up the correct numbers in the shop manual and compare to what the shop gives you before you buy it (sometimes they don't supply the correct one).

With the grinding; I agree with deejaycee_2000's comment above however, first I would change the oil (especially if you haven't done so before). Get the correct grade oil (again, see shop manual). Personally, and this is just my opinion; I'd change to new (correct grade) oil first before adjusting or tearing into the clutch.

Clean carb and check the gaskets between carb & engine are all in good shape (replace if they look to be damaged or badly fitting) any gaskets in bad shape between carb & engine will have a bad effect on general engine running & starting.

So in short; New correct spark plug (see shop manual), change to new correct grade oil (see shop manual), clean carb and also check all gaskets are in good shape when you refit the carb. Any bad fitting gaskets between carb & engine will have a bad effect on general engine running and starting.

All the best with it buddy!

--
    Always get a manual , you'll use it more than you think

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //