//ArrowChat Code
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27

Thread: 1984 Honda 200X Rescue

--
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskool83 View Post
    Musket mufflers makes repo OEM motors for all the atc's
    Well...for $701 NZD ($420 USD) I can get a new complete (oem style) Musket Muffler exhaust system for my 200X...shipped to my door. Probably not painted but for only a $100 more than a DG system on ebay...not bad. I'm impressed.

I'm thinking about it.

--
    I am going to run a 400ex lexx slip on with a turn down tip and my aluminum transition piece. It prob will be a bit louder then stock. I hate noise now however, but I have a damaged ear from too many ear infections as a kid.

--
    I had a little paint remover left over.

Paint stripper is not as strong or as good as it once was but to my surprise it did remove paint off the gas tank.....with the help of a little electric power washer.

Even the decals came off...very good. I'll get another can for the rest.

Some rust spots all over but not bad. Looks like no dents as well.

--
    If you don't already have a blast cabinet, even an inexpensive one will be a huge help.

If you mostly do aluminum and ATV/motorcycle parts, filling it with quality glass beads will do most of everything you need.

Glass beads aren't great for removing heavy rust from steel and iron parts, but they'll work well for general cleaning, without removing much parent material.

It has to be quality glass media though. The cheap stuff is crushed glass and really messes up the finish on aluminum.

Besides, it gives a great finish for paint to adhere. I've blasted a lot of parts and only used spray paint which held up great for years. Better finishes hold up even longer.

I have a Harbor Fright cabinet that I've upgraded, and also had new glass cut for as I've used it for 15 years or better now. I just used it a couple days ago. Sometimes it's for entire parts cleaning and other times it's a couple minute job to clean a small part or area of a part. I have mine on a stand with rollers, so I can move it around the shop. I store it out of the way when not in use. In a shop with plenty of space, it could stay put, but I'm always needing to move things around.

I've used plenty of commercial types of equipment while working is shops. I don't have that kind of money or space at home. I've been personally responsible for millions of dollars of equipment, but not at home.
    Last edited by ATC King; 04-27-2024 at 11:39 PM.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ATC King View Post
    If you don't already have a blast cabinet, even an inexpensive one will be a huge help.

If you mostly do aluminum and ATV/motorcycle parts, filling it with quality glass beads will do most of everything you need.

Glass beads aren't great for removing heavy rust from steel and iron parts, but they'll work well for general cleaning, without removing much parent material.

It has to be quality glass media though. The cheap stuff is crushed glass and really messes up the finish on aluminum.

Besides, it gives a great finish for paint to adhere. I've blasted a lot of parts and only used spray paint which held up great for years. Better finishes hold up even longer.

I have a Harbor Fright cabinet that I've upgraded, and also had new glass cut for as I've used it for 15 years or better now. I just used it a couple days ago. Sometimes it's for entire parts cleaning and other times it's a couple minute job to clean a small part or area of a part. I have mine on a stand with rollers, so I can move it around the shop. I store it out of the way when not in use. In a shop with plenty of space, it could stay put, but I'm always needing to move things around.

I've used plenty of commercial types of equipment while working is shops. I don't have that kind of money or space at home. I've been personally responsible for millions of dollars of equipment, but not at home.
    I use to have one. Now behind my lot looks like a beach from all the sand I used to blast with with a siphon tube sandblaster. I hardly ever used the cabinet so I sold it because I needed the real estate.

I wish I had one now. Heck... I wish I had a shop now.

--
    Started some assembling.

At least once a week my plan is to assemble something. This has been sitting dormant with parts scattered all about. Even if it's installing something small or major, at least once a week is the plan. Today it was something small.

Installed the headlight, bars, rear mc and the airbox today. I still haven't addressed the holes in the airbox lid yet but it felt so good putting things together I don't care for now.

--
    It looks great from here! That's what you need to do to keep the motivation going. A little at a time.

--
    I hear you on not having a shop.

I've spent many years living in apartments, and even out of motels. When possible, I'd rent a storage space, which was just as much a shop as storage. I always felt like someone was going to say something when I'd spend hours in my storage unit, clearly using it as a shop. There wasn't any bathroom available, which meant that jug wasn't full of lemonade, as it may have appeared.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 350for350 View Post
    It looks great from here! That's what you need to do to keep the motivation going. A little at a time.
    Did a little bit more today....installed the motor. That was it.

Your right 350......it feels good getting things together. Its starting to look like a trike now.

--
    Keep on keeping on.

It may get daunting, but you'll get there.

I've got a pickup project now that hasn't run in years. It's a no-rush kinda project but it's not my vehicle, so it's taking up space for probably six months or longer.

The fuel tank and pump module was totally rusted out, so the project started there and is working towards the front. The fuel injectors are shot, completely rusted, as was the whole fuel system. New tank and pump, and now on to the injectors.

When I get all that done the brakes are toast, so that's the next step. Maybe the booster is okay, but I know the master cylinder is shot and the age of the vehicle means all the brake hoses need replaced. The brakes drag so there's likely new calipers and wheel cylinders needed.

Rats and mice have chewed through wires, so that's on the list.

The transmission fluid is dark and smelly, which means after it's driving the trans may need rebuilt.

The engine runs on supplemental fuel, so it's not a lost cause. It's also a one owner vehicle. They've had it since new in 1988.

Money isn't an issue, but I'm still trying to get it on the road for the lowest cost. I figure it'll be 3k-4k in parts and labor at the least and will still have many things to fix, but will be road worthy.

I'm trying to see the light at the end of the tunnel but every time I wrench on it, it feels like I'm going backwards.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ATC King View Post
    I'm trying to see the light at the end of the tunnel but every time I wrench on it, it feels like I'm going backwards.
    That's like my 1975 CB125S...... im always, always, always wrenching on something on that. It's a never ending battle....like I'm always loosing.

I keep it around and tolerate it because its cute.....but it's cuteness is wearing thin

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //