//ArrowChat Code

Thread: tri z clutch slipping when cold

--

tri z clutch slipping when cold

so i took my z for a beat run down the river today, and i need to go about 200 ft down the road to get there. when i left, i noticed on the blacktop the clutch was slipping, so just went for a short ride. however, on the way back i got on it and it seemed to grab just fine. temp about 20 degrees, 10 w 30 in the bottom end. let it warm up about 5 minutes. rode the thing pretty hard last summer, never had a problem. do you think it slipped because it was cold, or maybe needs to be replaced?
    any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

1984 honda 200s is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    woah let me know what you find out!! my 200s and trx200 both do the same, i run 10-40 oil in the bottom tho, if i let it warm up 5 mins then take off it will slip in 5th wide open but when warm no problem, ive compared a cold take off to a warm take off & big difference! id like to know about this slippage to!

--
    you should run synthetic oil in cold weather that really help me in the past and if still slipping you may have to tight it up a little bit with the adjustement screw on the side by the shifter

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 1984 honda 200s View Post
    woah let me know what you find out!! my 200s and trx200 both do the same, i run 10-40 oil in the bottom tho, if i let it warm up 5 mins then take off it will slip in 5th wide open but when warm no problem, ive compared a cold take off to a warm take off & big difference! id like to know about this slippage to!
    What are you doing in 5th at WOT when the engine hasn't warmed up anyways?

As to the OP's question, I have had clutch cable get some ice in them and not fully release, so they slightly pull the clutch arm. Check that, lube it up real good.

--
    blckpwdr69, the tri z is a manual clutch, no adjustment as far as i know?
    200Xmi., clutch cable feels fine, lever felt normal, it just slipped when it revved to powerband.

--
    Probably just your oil, you might be running the wrong type if it's a wet clutch. I noticed the same thing with my Tecate until it warms up.
    LED obsessed
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09

--
    The metal plates could be glazed a bit but when their warm they will work a little better . Time for a clutch service .
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    yeah, i'm leaning toward it being a temp\viscosity issue. i would rather not throw more money at it, but at the same time if it needs replaced would like to get it done before summer.

bcredneck is offline I can fit a square peg in a round hole. Just give me a hammer and duct tape! Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    take you clutch plates out and sand them with 600 grit its a temp fix last about 2 months you can keep doing it till it dont work then you need a clutch kit

1984 honda 200s is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by 200XMichigan View Post
    What are you doing in 5th at WOT when the engine hasn't warmed up anyways?

As to the OP's question, I have had clutch cable get some ice in them and not fully release, so they slightly pull the clutch arm. Check that, lube it up real good.
    aha its when i shift into 5th when cold, and getting into WOT when cold..

--
    Blog Entries
    yes cold weather does that,, and your probley lookin at a clutch in the spring..

--
    Quote Originally Posted by bcredneck View Post
    take you clutch plates out and sand them with 600 grit its a temp fix last about 2 months you can keep doing it till it dont work then you need a clutch kit
    i use 220 on the plates, and usually sand blast the steels or else 120 grit. Just sand enough to remove the glaze. I use my finger and sand in small circles. Its more than a temporary fix if the clutch plates are still of proper thickness.. I have revived many clutches with sandpaper and new springs.. A new clutch is probably best, but lots of people are quick to throw away clutches when the only problem is the oil type or springs.. If you are short on cash, or have some spare time its worth a shot.
    2-stroke lover

--
    i think i'll look at replacing it soon, if i'm gonna take it apart i'd just as soon put new parts in. thanks guys!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //