//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding rear end in my Monster Big Red

--

Rebuilding rear end in my Monster Big Red

So I am in the process of a much needed rear end rebuild in my Big Red. I have everything torn apart, & started cleaning the rust, mud & water outta the axle tube. I guess that what happens when u ride in the Florida swamps!

I have been wondering if a diff. or the diff. gears out of a Honda TRX 300 will work? Basically I need a lower gearing setup for turning 28" Mud tires. Any input or ideas would be great thanks.

--
    the 250sx is a little better

--
    The rear end out of a 250sx is a higher gear ratio than the big red. I think the trx 300 is the same gear ratio as the big red? what year trx 300?

--
    Yeah ive been told that the 250sx is slightly higher, TRX 300 im not sure, think all years are the same.

--
    The gears are the same in all year trx 300 but the housings changed. I wasnt sure if you wanted to use the whole trx rear end or just the gears. The ratio of the big red is the same as the trx if I remember right. I put a BR rear end in my sx last year and it has a lot more bottom end. Then a buddy blew the rear end in his trx 300 and it was the same ratio as my BR rear end. So the gears should work but it wont be any lower.

--
    Get a cam or gear reduction for more low end.

Big Mike is offline Part time collector of phallic shaped objects. Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Dont have any insight to add to this thread, but wanted to say that is a sweet Big Red man. I want to build one like that.
    Currently Own:
    1985 ATC 250sx
    1986 ATC 350x
    1986 Polaris Scrambler 250R/ES (P3)

Projects/Parts machines:
    1980 ATC 185S

My Feedback Thread: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/124667-Feedback-for-Big-Mike?highlight=Feedback+for+Big+Mike

--
    boy, you'd think the spec sheets either
    owners manuals
    shop man
    or sales brochures would mention gear ratios.

Pretty sure they're all avail on 3www here somewhere

--
    Ok good to know, I would love to do a gear reduction, have any more info on that?

--
    I think the clutch on a 300 has 5 springs, and the 250 has 4 or vice-versa. But pretty much used a 300ex primary gear and clutch basket + about $150 worth of machining a few guys do on highlifter.com. Lowers the gearing for more torque.

--
    here is what I have been up to...

Just have one problem, how the hell do I get this apart, the manual says that it takes special tools and for the dealer to do it.

--
    another pic, anyone know how to get this apart?

--
    I need some help here, I know someone has had their rear diff apart to put new bearings in.
    Last edited by Mondexbrute; 02-02-2011 at 04:03 PM.

--
    ???????????? Still dont know what to do here!

--
    Do you have the factory manual? Looks a lot like doing bearings in a car differential, but u gonna need special tools, no doubt.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //