PDA

View Full Version : ATC 70 only idles

Jim mac
07-06-2009, 12:26 AM
just got another atc70. I cleaned the carb out and it fired right up! Unfortunately you give it any gas with or without the choke and it dies. It'll sit there and idle for minutes on end.
Should I just pull the carb and clean it our again? I ran a pinvise drill through the pilot jet and the main jet. cleaned the filter screen. Its got the plastic round float, so I dont see any adjustments. Is it possible the floats too low? This trike was suppose to have been running fine a few years ago. I did install a new plug. jim

Daddio
07-06-2009, 01:17 AM
Did you adjust the air screw. I had trouble with mine but worked it out after a good deal of messing around.

CRAZY70MAN
07-06-2009, 05:23 AM
Air filter clean? The 70 carbs are very prone to dirt. You may have to soak a day or 2 in evapo rust or cleaner of some type and clean all passages again with torch tip cleaner and air. Idle jet will plug again and again if entire carb was not cleaned. The float level setting is 20mm or 0.79in. This is the distance with the carb inverted from the body flange to the uppermost edge of float. Bend plastic tang to get the right height. Shoud be in closed position when measuring. Good luck

Jason Hall
07-06-2009, 09:55 AM
Sounds like the main jet Is plugged not letting It pull enough gas when the slide opens/needle pulls fuel through main. Usually when something will run better with the choke on, thats telling you your starved for fuel. If you think about It, as soon as you flip the choke on you cut the air flowing through the carb WAY back. That Is why It will rev, because now It's mixing a little bit of air with a little bit of fuel. Clean the main, and I bet you'll be fine. I have found that varnish builds Inside the jets, and sometimes you just have to replace them, or like others have stated use a tip cleaner. The tip cleaner It rough, and will file the varnish off the jet. Be careful not to take to much material out of the jet, as It might run rich when your done.

Dirtcrasher
07-06-2009, 02:15 PM
Also, for some reason these smaller motors just do not seem to like to run without an airbox. I put mine back on, oiled and cut a piece of foam for it and it ran much better......