PDA

View Full Version : Best initial upgrades for 1985 ATC 250r

musket15
06-26-2009, 10:42 PM
I just bought an 85 250r a few weeks ago that's bone stock except for a uni air filter. What are the best upgrades I can do to it to start off with? I'm thinking of a good k&n air filter and maybe a paul turner pipe. What do you people reccommend as far as the first performance parts I should get?

Autophysn
06-26-2009, 11:35 PM
Honestly, I think you should get a after market silencer, use your stock expansion tube, and make sure your carb is clean. Do a plug chop, make sure your running good, then go ride! Have fun, and take it from there my friend. Welcome to the water cooler club ;)

SYKO
06-27-2009, 12:21 AM
Tires! dunlop KT151 front tire and holeshot or fast tracker rears, this will better help the machine put the power to the ground and handle better. Get the argonomics dead on for you E/I Bar hight grips and lever reach and feel, making a machine feel perfect for you will help you ride it better. As for performance, a good pipe/silencer better reeds and really good jetting will be all you will eve need to enjoy that machine, also good time to replace the clutch if its over a few years old and been sitting its peice of mind and no powerloss.

300rman
06-27-2009, 12:26 AM
Honestly, piss on the K&N, keep the UNI. Their filters are second to none.

easy bolt on upgrades include:

Pipe+Silencer
Bigger, modern carb
Boyesen Power or PRO reeds, or a Vforce reed cage.

as mentioned above, check and adjust your jetting after messing with it.

factoryX
06-27-2009, 02:26 AM
everything he just said, case saver, etc..

DixiePlowboy
06-27-2009, 06:22 AM
Honestly, piss on the K&N, keep the UNI. Their filters are second to none.

easy bolt on upgrades include:

Pipe+Silencer
Bigger, modern carb
Boyesen Power or PRO reeds, or a Vforce reed cage.

as mentioned above, check and adjust your jetting after messing with it.

Good advice 300rman.

I wholeheartedly disagree with syko on Holeshot tires on a 3-wheeler though. If you like sliding......you'll hate Holeshots(like I do). Wayyy too much sidebite in most terrain means that you'll either back off when cornering or you'll kiss the ground.

Great straight line traction and good general trail/play tire, though.

deathman53
06-27-2009, 10:02 AM
has the suspension ever been re-did??? If not or not recent, that should be your first thing, next to good tires. If you can't put power to the ground, what good is it?

SYKO
06-27-2009, 11:04 AM
Good advice 300rman.

I wholeheartedly disagree with syko on Holeshot tires on a 3-wheeler though. If you like sliding......you'll hate Holeshots(like I do). Wayyy too much sidebite in most terrain means that you'll either back off when cornering or you'll kiss the ground.

they always slide fine for me! but I dont back off.....sissy....:welcome:

DixiePlowboy
06-27-2009, 06:32 PM
they always slide fine for me! but I dont back off.....sissy.

There's no need for you to back off.....as slow as you hit a turn you've got nothing to fear:lol: :lol:

edog
06-27-2009, 09:32 PM
Good advice 300rman.

Holshot XC are great for sliding.

factoryX
06-27-2009, 09:47 PM
idk, I tried a pair of and hated them.

edog
06-27-2009, 11:25 PM
Holshot XC are great for sliding.

I had them on my 250R when I got it. They slid well for me.

DixiePlowboy
06-28-2009, 01:53 AM
I had them on my 250R when I got it. They slid well for me.

On sand? Snow? Gravel? Mud? On real loose or slick terrain, their sideways manners are acceptable. In this hayfield, in my yard, and on somewhat-tacky/good traction surfaces they can put your arse on the ground....quick. My little(28-yo) brother found that out 2-weeks ago when an attempt at getting sideways(against my warning) on the R in my back yard sent him to the hospital, put him in a neck brace, and erased an hour of riding the machine from his memory completely.....and he's ridden(my) 3-wheelers since he was 8 or 9 years old.

I've had Holeshots on 2 Tri-Z's, an '85 250R, on my current Tecate, and they're on my boy's current '85 R.

The current Tecate and R are getting different tires. Plain and simple. I wouldn't want a set of them on our rides any more than I would want a trailpro

I'll end my part of this thread highjack/deviation from topic...my apologies musket15.

factoryX
06-28-2009, 03:40 AM
boysen reed valve or v force delta 3 reed cage is a great upgrade over stock reed system, also rick stator still makes stators for the atc/trx250r, stock to 200 watts. also if you want a swinger some companys still make them. with a new pipe/reeds/carb combo you can get a 5-8hp boost over stock if not more.

Saleenster
06-29-2009, 03:06 AM
boysen reed valve or v force delta 3 reed cage is a great upgrade over stock reed system, also rick stator still makes stators for the atc/trx250r, stock to 200 watts. also if you want a swinger some companys still make them. with a new pipe/reeds/carb combo you can get a 5-8hp boost over stock if not more.

What ever u do, DO NOT buy a ricky stator....use stock OEM Honda

factoryX
06-29-2009, 04:33 AM
okay, I have heard of them falling apart on tecates but I have never heard of them coming apart on 250r motors..

torker
06-29-2009, 10:26 AM
A nice PT system (maybe high rev), V-force 3 syst. and a good filter (UNI or K&N) and you'll be set to go as far as mods go for a bike that will have great power, sound and won't give you any problems at all. Remeber that jetting is the key to everything working like it shoild.:naughty:
Just my .02 cents, hope it helps.
TORKER.