PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha Tri Moto 200 Carb Problems Help!!

TriMoto200_1983
06-25-2009, 12:10 AM
Hello, my name is Nick and i just bought a 1983 yamaha tri moto for 800 bucks. i know it sounds like alot but this trike is in mint condition. the only thing is, when i first started it up, it used to rev high, getting louder every second. So i used to have to shut it off in case the motor would blow. The guy i bought it off of said he had to put a new throttle cable on it last summer so i figured the cable just needed a little adjusting. So i tried adjusting the cable but it was the exact same thing. I then took the cap off of the carb to see if he had put the slide in the carb backwards after changing the cable but that wasnt the case. I then started adjusting the idling screw (or what i thought was the idling screw) but it was the same thing. Turned out that what i was adjusting was the air screw. So i found the idling screw which was right beside it. how blind can you get?? That gave me a little bit of hope. So i turned the air screw in all the way, then backed it off about 1 and 1/4 turns, then started to idle her down with the idling screw. i finally got her idling at the speed that i wanted and then i just started to give it a little shot of gas in neutral to see if i fixed it. i noticed that i could give it shots of gas, more and more until about just before half throttle, then the bike will start revving up again and stay revving up just like it did before. So i shut the bike off as soon as this happens, dont touch ANYTHING at all with the carb, start it back up, then it idles normally like i want it to until i give it that amount of gas again, then it starts revving up again. I dont know if the slide is sticking after i push the throttle a certain amount of ways or not. i dont think so because i took the airbox rubber mount off so i could see the slide go up and down and it doesnt seem like thats the problem...... could someone please help me? if someone would like to give me an email address i would gladly take a video of this and send it to them, or post the video on youtube. if anyone could help me i would greatly appreciate it....this bike is in excellent shape and it's a sin if i cant use it just because of this little problem. thanks.

shadix518
06-25-2009, 03:38 PM
send a video to me shadix518@cox.net i have a trimoto 200 as well. it sounds like the float is sticking to me. have you taken the carb apart and cleaned it? but it is in your carb somewhere just need to find it if i were you i would take the carb completly apart and let it soak in carb dip overnight. make sure that you put nothing that has rubber on it in the dip or it will eat it away. then put it back together. make sure when you put the float in make sure it dosent stick in any position. before you do that though make sure the float isnt leaking. take the float and a glass of water and put the float in the glass and let it sit for a bit. if it sinks the float is leaking and needs replaced if it stays floating the float is good. put it all back together and see haw that works. good luck

TriMoto200_1983
06-25-2009, 07:56 PM
I will take a video of the trike tonight and email it to you right away. And ill try everything you said. Thanks for replying to my post. Ill get back to you in a little while. but do you think the slide in the carb throat could be sticking too?.....

Macs
06-25-2009, 08:02 PM
sounds like an air leak to me. with it running spray some carb cleaner around the intake boot, see if the revs change. I think you will find your problem there.

TriMoto200_1983
06-25-2009, 08:15 PM
i tried that with some wd40 and nothing happened..... i hope its not an air leak around the carb boot..... i find that parts are so hard to find for those tri moto's.....cant find a choke cable anywhere....

Macs
06-25-2009, 08:28 PM
WD40 should have given you a change. Did you spray all the way around the intake boot, carb? If not, i would check that the cable is not hanging up. does the needle go all the way down?

shadix518
06-25-2009, 08:28 PM
you can get a choke cable from autozone and make it work

Macs
06-25-2009, 08:35 PM
http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/yamaha-atv-ytm200k-1983/o/m8791

I think this is it.

TriMoto200_1983
06-25-2009, 10:21 PM
hey shadix518 i got the video of my tri moto. i will send it to you now....hopefully you will be able to open it

MonroeMike
06-25-2009, 10:44 PM
i tried that with some wd40 and nothing happened..... i hope its not an air leak around the carb boot..... i find that parts are so hard to find for those tri moto's.....cant find a choke cable anywhere....

Try http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/ATV.aspx for your cable.

A cut radiator hose can be used for a carb boot, if you can't find one.

shadix518
06-25-2009, 11:18 PM
i havent gotten it yet