PDA

View Full Version : CR Vs PV.

Far2Quik
06-24-2009, 06:59 PM
Alright, i currently have a 85 250R with a CR top end and ignition. This thing screams, has the cool head 16cc dome its ported, wysco piston all that fun stuff. Vorce3 reeds FTZ out of frame pipe. Now then, i hit RPM's all day long very very quickly with my current set up. But its time for a rebuild. So here's my dilema. It will only cost me $200 more for a 330PV kit. Or i can send my head to LA sleeve and keep the current set up. Just looking for opinions, i myself am torn.

I mostly just hit the dunes with this thing. It was around 270CC's or so with the set up and it ate 310 kits at the drags. Also for those of you technical guys its a 6 speed with a 12 tooth up front.

Saleenster
06-25-2009, 02:55 AM
Alright, i currently have a 85 250R with a CR top end and ignition. This thing screams, has the cool head 16cc dome its ported, wysco piston all that fun stuff. Vorce3 reeds FTZ out of frame pipe. Now then, i hit RPM's all day long very very quickly with my current set up. But its time for a rebuild. So here's my dilema. It will only cost me $200 more for a 330PV kit. Or i can send my head to LA sleeve and keep the current set up. Just looking for opinions, i myself am torn.

I mostly just hit the dunes with this thing. It was around 270CC's or so with the set up and it ate 310 kits at the drags. Also for those of you technical guys its a 6 speed with a 12 tooth up front.

how bout a picture of this screamer:welcome:

if you go to a 330 PV you will need to have your cases opened up. If your into racing, then you dont need the PV...what carb and swingarm u runnin?

Far2Quik
06-25-2009, 03:02 PM
Soon as i get everything back from powder coat and cermachrome and get it back together i'll get some pics up. I actually have the stock swing arm with a inserted peice of tubing, stronger than before with an added 4 inches. Has a Kehin 39mm on it. I know i know i gotta jet it and re tune it now..... btw i order the 330PV kit today. Something about having a CC for every pound of bike made me smile. And i know about the case. Long rod all that fun what not.

And yeah i know im nuts with a 4" swing arm and a 330PV kit. It happens. I'm gonna have to test and tune and see what front sprocket i like better. I like to ride as well not just race, didnt go too crazy with the porting.

deathman53
06-25-2009, 03:29 PM
I really hope you didn't get the "bolt-on" 330. They are prone to sleeve breaking, cylinder twisting and you only get 2 overbores. Its also more expensive to re-sleeve. The bolt-on requires a long rod also.

Far2Quik
06-25-2009, 07:48 PM
I'm well aware, not my first rodeo. Just seems that not many people use the CR top end. Wondering if anyone had an opinion on the two engines. A bit late now i guess i'll be sure and let you guys know which i like better.

ceaserthethird
06-26-2009, 05:11 AM
Some Pictures would be Awesome !

Saleenster
06-26-2009, 05:12 AM
Soon as i get everything back from powder coat and cermachrome and get it back together i'll get some pics up. I actually have the stock swing arm with a inserted peice of tubing, stronger than before with an added 4 inches. Has a Kehin 39mm on it. I know i know i gotta jet it and re tune it now..... btw i order the 330PV kit today. Something about having a CC for every pound of bike made me smile. And i know about the case. Long rod all that fun what not.

And yeah i know im nuts with a 4" swing arm and a 330PV kit. It happens. I'm gonna have to test and tune and see what front sprocket i like better. I like to ride as well not just race, didnt go too crazy with the porting.

ESR porting is piss poor at best, no matter what number you get. To get the real performance from the 330, have another builder port it for you. Also, what stroke you going to run? Your bike weighs 330 lbs????? You got to be kiddin me:wondering :wondering

x.system
06-26-2009, 09:02 PM

Why would you send a cool head to LA Sleeve? How do you figure a 330 powervalve kit is only $200 more than a rebuild? All 250R's from 85 up are 6 speed. It apears this is your first rodeo by the way your coming off.

The cr cylinders are old school, thats why not many people run them any longer. You can get a new pro-x cylinder and start fresh, why bother with an old cr cylinder?

You having someone else do your motor work for you? thats the only way I can see a 330pv kit costing $200 more. You can do a fresh top end for under$300, piston, bore and gaskets.

I personally would have went 310 non powervalve with a mx port job (RB Racing, not esr), long rod spacer plate, rad valve, 40.5 mm keihin, cr ignition but thats just me. Goood luck getting the 330pv to rev like a 265 does.