PDA

View Full Version : why wont my ATC idle till its warm

posty2100
06-23-2009, 09:21 PM
I have a 84' 200s and it doesnt idle till its warm? why is this, I have asked people and they all say cuz its old, but what really is it? does it have something to do with the choke?

joshco84
06-23-2009, 09:46 PM
it is not uncommon for anything to no idle or to idle rough if the engine isnt warmed up. My 200x runs great but will cough and sputter some until it runs and cleans itself out a little.

Be a little more specific as far as amount of time before it will idle.

Dirtcrasher
06-23-2009, 09:59 PM
If everything in that carb and motor are working well, it should idle a bit higher with the choke on, but it should idle. Then as it warms up, sometimes just 20 seconds into it, you'll hear it load up and blubber a bit. Thats when you drop down to half choke and the same thing will happen at which point you take the choke off completely, rev it a couple times and it should idle.

YES, it is OLD! But, with a clean fresh and or rebuilt carb (there are orings that crack, jets that plug etc etc), adjusted correctly, a good spark at the right time and valves adjusted and sealing right; you shouldn't have a problem.

If you have to babysit the warming period and otherwise she runs like a champ, I think I'd be happy with it as it is unless I was prepared to really get into everything thoroughly.

Many times an old metal tank with some corrosion is the biggest enemy and it plugs up some stuff in the carburetor creating numerous issues. I always run inline fuel filters on metal tanks...... But coating the tank before it screws up the carb is best :D

posty2100
06-23-2009, 10:09 PM
I just cleaned the carb last night. It would idle rough when it was warm before now she purrrs when its warm idling. But just wondering why it has to get warm before it would idle.

joshco84
06-23-2009, 10:42 PM
mine i have to start it and keep it throttled a little, then bump the throttle a few times and it evens out just fine.

Dirtcrasher
06-23-2009, 10:43 PM
Life could be sooooo much worse Posty! :D

FATTYFIVE
06-23-2009, 10:54 PM
Hondas 4 pokes are cold-blooded. It is what it is

Race Demon
06-23-2009, 10:54 PM
My bikes are not stock , but if they start hard or don't idle when cold, I try going up on the pilot jet,1 or 2 sizes after that you have other trouble, that is saying your carb is clean in the first place

rdlsz24
06-24-2009, 10:08 AM
Hondas 4 pokes are cold-blooded. It is what it is

x2 I used to kill the battery on my 300ex just trying to start it in the winter.

Rob

Lukeatc185
06-24-2009, 10:13 AM
easy solution i found about winter starting. especially if you have a nice garage. pull the spark plug use a hairdryer make it nice and warm, do the same with your carb. it should fire up quickly

4 wheels?
06-24-2009, 11:11 AM
x2 I used to kill the battery on my 300ex just trying to start it in the winter.

Rob

Strange. I can start my 200es dead of winter. No choke and 3 pulls max. when it is really cold I have to choke sometimes but not often. Electric start is nice :w00t:

WIkid500
06-24-2009, 12:27 PM
My 200x is cold blooded until it warms up. I think it might have some to do with all the engine work done to it. Once she is warmed up it will sit and idle for days but when it's cold you have to keep it just above idle to keep it running, doesn't take much. I don't worry about it.

ceaserthethird
06-24-2009, 12:41 PM
Clean the Carb ( Detail ) & buy NEW OEM Gasket's , o-rings, & JET's .

Remove and inspect your fuel tank, Clean it out !

Tune - up ~

Adjust your Valve's, Change Filter & Oil , New NGK Spark plug , Clean OR Buy new Air Filter .

Post Back once these are done ...

Jonpin
06-25-2009, 02:02 AM
I wish thats how mine was mine idles great when its cold but it wont idle for more then like 30 seconds or a minute if lucky after it warms up and runs real rich "which im assumeing why it wont idle it gets carboned up" .