PDA

View Full Version : High volume low pressure paint system

kokmatt
06-23-2009, 07:48 PM
I've been thinking about getting a HVLP paint system from harbor freight. I know the quality of tools from there isnt always the best, but was curious if anyone has on or used one of these. what are your thoughts on it. Its only gonna be for painting trike parts and other odds and ends.

seadoo650
06-23-2009, 07:58 PM
HVLP is the standard now. It's the only way to go.

Macs
06-23-2009, 08:00 PM
One of those are fine for painting parts. but if you are going to do these like tanks then you want a better gun. Do you have a link to the gun? It would help to know exactly what it is. my guns are relativley cheap. but good.

SYKO
06-23-2009, 08:01 PM
if its the SYSTEM with the special compressor and crap assciociated with it... its junk....

if its just a HVLP spray gun... go with it.. the only trouble you wil find if you get some high viscosity paint it will have trouble pushing it through, but everything else will be fine.

im old school I lay on clear with a conventional monster I GO FOR THE MILLS BABY!

kokmatt
06-23-2009, 08:10 PM
This is what i was looking at. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=66297

I know nothing about painting but would like to start trying it for myself. what is a good cheap alternative to start out with. I dont have a very good air compressor and thought this would be easier.

leevarnado
06-23-2009, 08:24 PM
that's looks really cheap.i wouldn't waste my cash on it.

seadoo650
06-23-2009, 08:24 PM
One word. JUNK.
Here's one that is CHEAP but good. $129.99 shipped.
http://www.mactools.com/product/tabid/120/p-320040-sg1300-13.aspx

kokmatt
06-23-2009, 08:35 PM
with that gun i just plug into my compressor. do i need a filtration system on my compressor. I dont know anything about these.

SYKO
06-23-2009, 08:39 PM
if you cant set air pressure on the gun you need a regulator, if you dont have any filtration system then just get a filter bubble to go on the end of the gun and run the air into it, all that can be gotten from a harware store or a auto paint store.

kokmatt
06-23-2009, 08:45 PM
thanks for all your info guys

joshco84
06-25-2009, 10:08 AM
if you have an orielly auto parts store around that mixes paint check with them. A lot of times they have good prices on guns as well.

If i remember right harbor used to carry a better paint gun, dont remember what it was though.

I have a friend that has the mac gun that was linked and it is a nice gun.

WIkid500
06-25-2009, 11:06 AM
I have a Matco tools hvlp gun, paid just over 100 dollars for it on sale a few years back and it is real nice. Lays paint, clear, and ceramic finish perfect. It's easy to control and easy to clean up when your done. Spend the hundred dollars and you will have good results and a gun that will last for many years.

leevarnado
06-25-2009, 12:45 PM
when i use to do refinish work i had an accuspray base gun and a digital sata jet for primer and clearing.use them and your work will be flawless.

racerxxx
06-25-2009, 01:41 PM
A buddy of mine uses the HF guns for painting trailers for his trucking company, when the trailers are done being painted he throws the gun away. He waits until they go on super sale and buys a handful of them, doesn't bother to clean them out, time is money and the cost is usually low on the guns, he'll waste more on the solvents to clean them than what they're worth! He use to have nice guns, but when other people use them and don't clean them properly they're ruined.:D

johnny's X
06-25-2009, 02:51 PM
go to Lowes. I bought a husky HVLP gun and a small touch up gun there in a package deal with a case and cleaning tools for 75 bucks. Thing works great. I bought a HVLP gun from tractor supply and that thing was JUNK! I primer spray through a old school gun. Craftsmans special. One of the best primer guns I have used.

x.system
06-25-2009, 03:19 PM
I started using sata jet when hvlp first came out, $600 a gun back then and I was painting 10 cars a day. I still have 2 of them but my last car I painted I used a cheap $30 hvlp gun that is a copy of the sata and it worked fine. I think I bought a 3 pack for around $70 that had a small detail gun and 2 regular sized guns.

Dirtcrasher
06-25-2009, 05:08 PM
Yes, that setup you were looking at is cheap cheap cheap....

IDK much about paint but the top feed sprayers seem to work very well when my bud shoots my stuff. He got a nice gun for about 150$

Can someone educate us a bit? Whats the big deal with high volume (lots of mix I guess?) and low pressure? if you have a compressor running at 125PSI anyhow regulated down to 30PSI or whatever??

What are the advantages to these HVLP guns??

x.system
06-25-2009, 11:48 PM
Yes, that setup you were looking at is cheap cheap cheap....

IDK much about paint but the top feed sprayers seem to work very well when my bud shoots my stuff. He got a nice gun for about 150$

Can someone educate us a bit? Whats the big deal with high volume (lots of mix I guess?) and low pressure? if you have a compressor running at 125PSI anyhow regulated down to 30PSI or whatever??

What are the advantages to these HVLP guns??

The gun puts more material on the part (high volume) instead of in the air. A siphon gun requires more air pressure to atomize the paint, or clear and pull it out of the gun and still get a nice spray pattern. I also use to use a hvlp for color and a siphon for my clear but its not cost effective when your wasting almost half the material.

The biggest advantage is material savings, what would normally take a gallon to spray will take 2 or 3 quarts with a hvlp, with some colors that alone could save you $500/$1000 on one car. If your spraying a complete car outside a booth you will still get a cloud but not as fast as you would with a siphon gun. You also won't get as much overspray with a hvlp.

When hvlp first came out it used a pressurized cup, these were very nice but very difficult to keep clean. Then gravity feed came out, these guns are the easyest to clean, easyest to work with and just about anyone could paint with one with a few minutes practice.

x.system
06-25-2009, 11:57 PM
This is what i was looking at. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=66297

I know nothing about painting but would like to start trying it for myself. what is a good cheap alternative to start out with. I dont have a very good air compressor and thought this would be easier.

If you already have an air compressor all you need is this gun.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=66222
I did this car with the same gun from primer to clear.

http://i43.tinypic.com/1vgq1.jpg