PDA

View Full Version : atc 200 carb needle questions

leevarnado
06-22-2009, 03:17 PM
can someone tell my what the std size jet needle for a 1981 honda atc 200 is.the one i have is 36j and i don't know if that's the correct size becausei just can't get this dam carb tuned right.new carb kit,then i bought smaller and larger jets and it still does the same dam thing.

leevarnado
06-22-2009, 03:35 PM
just did a plug chop.the engine is getting really hot and the plug is fouled.the std main jet is 105 and i have a 107 in it bc the piston is 1.25 over.do i need to go with a larger main jet??

rdlsz24
06-22-2009, 03:38 PM
If the plug is fouling that means it's too rich correct? What are your symptoms? Sputtering on top end?

Rob

Dirtcrasher
06-22-2009, 03:44 PM
What did the plug chop feel like? Was it blubbering or lacking?

Believe me, I've had my FAIR SHARE of incestuous jetting experiences :lol:

105-107 is nothing, hell I've jumped 4 sizes in one shot.

Funny thing is that hot headpipes always make me think my pilot is too lean.

But carbon fouled? Any chance oil is getting in there?

leevarnado
06-22-2009, 05:47 PM
its not just the header getting hot its the whole topend.put in new plug and up the main jet to a 110 and its still getting hot as hell.it not sputting at all,just getting extremely hot.the header looks to be smaller than stock,could that be creating all the topend heat.

leevarnado
06-22-2009, 05:58 PM
best comparison i could come up with.look how the header is just a little bit larger than the plug.

Dirtcrasher
06-22-2009, 07:15 PM
If it were jetted lean enough to get hot hot, I sure you'd see it in the plug.

Was anything changed recently??

Any chance of the exhaust being plugged??

leevarnado
06-22-2009, 08:09 PM
yeah the topend is new with a 1.25 over piston,new cam,gaskets.its not my 3 wheeler just some dude seen me riding one of mine and ask if i could get his running.

Dirtcrasher
06-22-2009, 08:43 PM
You know how the oil path goes, thats the next thing I'd check......

They cool with oil and air, not sure if that 200 has the rubber oil gallery plug but if it's suppose to and it isn't there, it could allow it to heat up or possibly a clearance issue is in there somewhere? Excessive sealant blocking something?

Macs
06-22-2009, 08:55 PM
The header will not make it get hot like that. I cant tell from the pic, but how does the plug look?

Damn dirtcrasher, let someone else help....... i want to help..... but you are so much faster than me at the keyboard.

leevarnado
06-22-2009, 09:24 PM
i put a new plug in up the main jet to 110 and ran the trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro out of it for about 5 mins.then pulled plug and it wasn't fouled like before but now it looks kinda brown and creamy.also it will only idle when the throttle screw is full tightened.

ssrecords
06-23-2009, 07:28 AM
go up on your pilot jet to get your idiling right

leevarnado
06-23-2009, 08:01 PM
ok so today i put on two different carbs with different intake boots,took the air box off also took the silencer off and its doing the same thing.

Dirtcrasher
06-23-2009, 09:36 PM
^ Sorry Barry :D

C'mon now, don't be a "parts changer" :lol: Taking the silencer and or the lid off are both gonna make it an even LEANER condition than you had and of course the motor will run a bit hotter. Isn't it amazing that fuel or lack thereof actually effects the motor to some degree in temperature terms?? :crazy:

You sure it isn't just HOT outside?? Is the top end quiet or clicking and clacking??

Back to the fouled issue - is it a valve seal? a clearance issue? a ring installed incorrectly??

Hmmm, 85 or under - isn't it the right rear head nut/stud that the oil comes up? Can you crack the nut and verify oil delivery? Although, if that were an issue, I'm pretty sure you would hear it.

Gotta be something your missing.... Make sure to let us know what you find, you may not like it, but I LOVE odd crazy mechanical issues :D

leevarnado
06-23-2009, 11:28 PM
^ Sorry Barry :D

C'mon now, don't be a "parts changer" :lol: Taking the silencer and or the lid off are both gonna make it an even LEANER condition than you had and of course the motor will run a bit hotter. Isn't it amazing that fuel or lack thereof actually effects the motor to some degree in temperature terms?? :crazy:

You sure it isn't just HOT outside?? Is the top end quiet or clicking and clacking??

Back to the fouled issue - is it a valve seal? a clearance issue? a ring installed incorrectly??

Hmmm, 85 or under - isn't it the right rear head nut/stud that the oil comes up? Can you crack the nut and verify oil delivery? Although, if that were an issue, I'm pretty sure you would hear it.

Gotta be something your missing.... Make sure to let us know what you find, you may not like it, but I LOVE odd crazy mechanical issues :D

i took the airbox and silencer off because i thought one of them might be clogged.guess i will take the engine apart tomorrow and see if i cant find something that could be causing this.