PDA

View Full Version : Removing powdercoat from the VIN?

Dammit!
06-21-2009, 01:25 PM
Getting ready to go to work but I thought I'd let you guys chew on this while I'm gone. :lol:

I have a powdercoated 200x frame. The place I used put the PC on a little too thick and made the VIN pretty much impossible to read. That's going to be a problem when I try to get a title for it.

How would you go about removing the PC just from the VIN without messing up the area around it?

KASEY
06-21-2009, 02:05 PM
i would mask a small area around the vin,,, then lightly sand blast itll you can read it clearly,,, then clear it so its preserved the guy at the mvd will be happy with that,,,,

joshco84
06-21-2009, 02:13 PM
i would mask a small area and hit it with some rough rubbing compound. If you do it right, it would actually rub the paint down to metal and leave paint in the letters and numbers. Would probably look cool and be even easier to read

KASEY
06-21-2009, 02:15 PM
If you do it right, it would actually rub the paint down to metal and leave paint in the letters and numbers

you can't rub out POWDER COAT...

joshco84
06-21-2009, 02:22 PM
shows what i know, never used powder before, figured it was more like regular paint, so much for that idea huh.

Dirtcrasher
06-21-2009, 04:51 PM
When I called "Absolute Powder" and inquired about PC remover, she told me they have vats filled with lacquer thinner and leave it overnight.

I'm not sure if persistent rubbing would work and I also find that race gas is very tough on paints and powders....

Macs
06-21-2009, 04:56 PM
have you tried making a rubbing out of the vin? If you it shows enough to make a rubbing with pencil and paper, color the vin with a sharpe and then rub off the excess. So it will leave behind the vin.

Dammit!
06-21-2009, 05:48 PM
have you tried making a rubbing out of the vin? If you it shows enough to make a rubbing with pencil and paper, color the vin with a sharpe and then rub off the excess. So it will leave behind the vin.

I thought about that but haven't tried it yet. I don't think it will work. Whoever powdered that frame and all my red parts in that batch put it on thicker than I have ever seen it before. Too thick really. When I had a frame done in black I could actually read the VIN better than before. It just depends on who is working that day I guess.

I have some chemical remover that works really well on PC but I have to assume it will eat up the tape as well. Tape + light blasting is probably the ticket but I don't have a sand blaster. I'll probably ask about it at the other PC place I use and see what they recommend or if they could just do that for me for a small fee or something.

Billy Golightly
06-21-2009, 05:52 PM
if it were mine I'd wire wheel it off.

mmiguy2103
06-21-2009, 05:52 PM
well you can grind it off with a light avbrasive wheel, or go buy your self a exterior sand blaster gun with the hopper from harbor freight for $15 and a little blast mediia and your good to go.

the same thing happened with my 250sx that i just powdercoated. the thing is when you spray it you can still see the VIN but one you bakeit it smooths out and fiills in any small voide like the VIN, but for me i dont care, i have over 100acres i ride in that i own so i dont have to worry about title and registering them.

good luck!

Macs
06-21-2009, 05:55 PM
maybe some peeler and a q-tip.... Well that would probly would eat the q-tip up. Maybe get a razor blade and cut a square around it then shave it down to metal with the blade leaving the vin still in powder coat. Then clear coat over it. but that might look like crap.

Peeler will strip the powder coat if you can find away to apply it and keep it under control.

Macs
06-21-2009, 05:56 PM
if it were mine I'd wire wheel it off.

haha, usaully the best solution is the one right in front of your face. I would go that route.

leevarnado
06-21-2009, 08:42 PM
you could also use a small rotary tool with a fine grain sanding wheel.

Dirtcrasher
06-21-2009, 10:14 PM
Get a white rag and some race gas, let me know what it does :D

RUB RUB RUB!!

It's all the same color throughout so it can't hurt.....

I'd think that if a solvent wore it down, you could blend it in better than if you blast it, sand it or wire wheel it.

It's just a thought, I never did it but I'd try it myself.

honda250sx
06-22-2009, 09:51 AM
If you do tape off use GORILLA TAPE. Its tough as NAILS almost like what duct tape used to be like. But seriously when it comes to blasting it holds up so damn nice. Try it out.