PDA

View Full Version : 350x revenge

sportsfinat
06-19-2009, 10:15 PM
well, i was out riding the 350 bout a week and a half ago and i was crossing some tracks and shut it off. i went to start it back up and it kicked back and reminded me what four stroke compression was like. it ripped me open pretty good. i got stitches and all the good stuff, but i was wondering how exactly to adjust the decompression cable. this may sound like a dumb question but i just want to know how to do it right and not screw it up. i wasnt sure if it was even worth it but now i know it is lol. but any suggestions or comments about similar times would be appreciated.

p.s. im looking for a gas tank and rear brake caliper if anyone has one their lookin to sell

Dirtcrasher
06-19-2009, 11:03 PM
The big thing is - inside, is the cam aligned correct and is the pawl locking and all that good stuff??

Then you just put her at TDC on the compression stroke and I believe they are looking for 6MM or 1/4" of freeplay on the lever at the head.

Very simple, but check the manual to follow thru all the right steps or it usually doesn't work out for most guys.... Cables break, shins get hurt, pride FAILS! :D

Bryan Raffa
06-19-2009, 11:07 PM
Cables brake, shins get hurt, pride FAILS :D

love it !!!

The Goat
06-20-2009, 03:48 AM
lol...thank god we were retarded when younger and used to wack each other in the shins all the time with broom handles.

sportsfinat
06-20-2009, 07:39 PM
lol....my pride hasnt failed yet but a couple more kickbacks and it might

wonderboy
06-20-2009, 08:01 PM
I just had to adjust mine. The manual says 1/14" (crazy fraction, I know) or 0.5 to 1.5 mm. A half mm is pretty small, so basically I just made shure that there is a slight amount of "wiggle" in the lever on the head. The point is you don't want it hanging up on the exhaust valve once the engine has started.

jason85atc250r
06-20-2009, 08:21 PM
you just need to get old and fat like me and you'll be able to kick it without the cable:lol: being around 260 helps

brapp
06-20-2009, 08:24 PM
yep 250lbs here and be careful it doesnt break bones in your foot when it kicks back!

sportsfinat
06-20-2009, 09:48 PM
i can kick without a problem, but my foot slipped and i dont want it again. the cable is there and everything so i just figured id ask and see what i cant find out. but yea im hoping no broken bones soon o well, ill just put some soccer shin guards on or somethin :lol:

Dirtcrasher
06-20-2009, 11:00 PM
Seriously, make sure you check under the clutch cover.

On a 350X, there is no "flat spot" or "odd spline" etc etc to align the Kickstart cam on, it's up to the mechanic to line up the dots.

I find the ones screwed up are the ones that got a clutch or had been taken apart for some reason at some time.

If thats not right, adjusting it is useless......

sportsfinat
06-20-2009, 11:56 PM
yea ill prolly take that off and see what i can do. i might replace the valve seals and possibly rings here pretty soon.....so ill try to do everything at once

birddogg
06-21-2009, 12:49 AM
2 words- knee pads.

Riding boots are a must on anything I ride. Unless I'm just tooling around the yard I'm wearing mine. They've saved me from a lot of serious over the years and were well worth the $200 price of admission. I started wearing knee pads after taking a roosted rock to the knee and having to get it drained because it swelled up solid to where I couldn't bend it. $10 on the clearance rack at Cernic's for a pair of Shift knee pads.

I haven't had any kind of injury from the knee down since I started wearing this stuff. I've got all kinds of scars from old injuries. Back when I was too cool to wear riding gear, or I didn't need to suit up because I was only going for a quick spin over the hill.

The extra security you feel by wearing the right equipment actually makes you feel a lot more comfortable with the whole riding experience. When you're not so freaked out about getting hurt you can enjoy it more. If I'm not suited up I won't do anything outside of putting around the yard.

I can't prove this but I think my parents took out a life insurance policy on me and my brother back when they bought us 2 brand new ATC200S's when I was 11 and he was 9. They bought us 2 of the worst handling non-suspended 3-wheelers that were fast enough to hurt yourself on, and they bought us each a pair of goggles. No helmets.

userj8670
06-21-2009, 01:13 PM
well, i was out riding the 350 bout a week and a half ago and i was crossing some tracks and shut it off. i went to start it back up and it kicked back and reminded me what four stroke compression was like. it ripped me open pretty good. i got stitches and all the good stuff, but i was wondering how exactly to adjust the decompression cable. this may sound like a dumb question but i just want to know how to do it right and not screw it up. i wasnt sure if it was even worth it but now i know it is lol. but any suggestions or comments about similar times would be appreciated.

p.s. im looking for a gas tank and rear brake caliper if anyone has one their lookin to sell

OUCH! Glad to hear your ok. I have never had my wheeler kick back on me and i hope i never do!

Jim

sportsfinat
06-21-2009, 03:30 PM
yea its not fun lol

Sargon2112
06-21-2009, 11:44 PM
Ah, it's good for ya! Builds character!

brapp
06-22-2009, 12:55 AM
excassive carbon build up in the cylinder has caused kickback on soem of the 350x's i have had and i rember the great gazoo breakign abone in his foot when his old 350x kicked back on him .

jeddy
06-22-2009, 01:00 AM
It can still kickback with the cable properly adjusted, so be aware. Mine has gotten me once just trying to fire it up to load it on the trailer, we took a break and drank a beer before finishing loading up (by hand).
-Jed

sportsfinat
06-22-2009, 03:05 PM
yea im not a big fan of forward kickers, but what can i do. i wish i could turn around and kick backwards but the 350 has a little too much compression for that. i just need to get a set of boots and then i wont be so timid. also if anyone has a helmet and any other gear laying around i am really looking for some. I know im going to catch all types of hell but i dont have a helmet or any other gear and thats how ive road for a long time, but im really starting to get uncomfortable riding like that. i really never liked riding w/o gear but i guess i havnt had a choice. so if anyone is willing to sell, im willing to buy.

the great gazoo
06-22-2009, 04:51 PM
excassive carbon build up in the cylinder has caused kickback on soem of the 350x's i have had and i rember the great gazoo breakign abone in his foot when his old 350x kicked back on him .

Actually it "ruptured " my achilles tendon. Always kick with your heel, I was lazy & paid for it:lock: :lock: Oh and BTW, if it ever happens to you, your foot instantly goes toes pointed out, like you're on your tippy toes, except it's kinda permanent, until it heals up, I was laid up 6-8 weeks.

sportsfinat
06-22-2009, 09:39 PM
wow that sounds horrible. i couldnt imagine the felling you had when that happened. im sorry to hear about that and happy you got back to normal