PDA

View Full Version : Fully suspended MDR 70 Prototype..

sandpuppi101
06-19-2009, 08:14 AM
Thought I'd show some pic's of a protype trike that I was working on to keep me busy over the winter month's.The chasis is a 1985 Honda Z 50 that went threw extensive fabrication to get where the pic's show.With using the Z 50 chasis it excepted a ATC 70 motor pretty good ,but I ended up stretching the rear backbone 3 1/2 inches so it could except a bigger motor such as a 110 or even bigger chinese type motor if I desired.I used the stock front inverted tree and suspension off the z 50 on the front and a tire off a Q 50 with drum brake's.Some othe add on's to the prototype are a tank ,shrouding and seat off of a aftermarket XR 50 kit .The rear swinger was modded in a laddis tube manner and using a rear hub assembly from a '06 Roketa mini-quad.The rear plastic's used in the mock up are off an older e-ton mini quad also.This was an idea that never really became a reality with this set-up,it just had way too many issue that needed to be attended to but with a ton of work may have lifted off of the ground.

What do you guy's think about this prototype,anybody have any idea's for this type of a build or have any of you's ever tried something like this before.My buddy Sam built a pretty nice one that he had down at Smith Road,that I think turned out great.What's your thought's ???

hawaiirider
06-20-2009, 02:12 AM
it looks like woody woodpecker!!

sandpuppi101
06-20-2009, 11:14 AM
it looks like woody woodpecker!!

LOL,how do you think it look's like that ???

birddogg
06-20-2009, 07:56 PM
I've kicked this idea around for a while now but keep getting hung up on the chain adjuster. The logical choice would be to go with an eccentric cam style rear end that most performance oriented ATVs use but cost starts to become an issue when you start adding up all the bits and pieces.

I have most of the pieces I'd need to pull of this kind of build. I've got a set of CT70 forks, CRF70 frame and gas tank, and an 85' ATC 70 that I wouldn't mind hacking up for the build. I'm thinking that the full rear end out of a TRX250X or TRX 300EX would probably be the best bet. There is no shock linkage, and it's shorter and narrower than the majority of what's out there.

vintagemotorsports
06-20-2009, 09:35 PM
I am currentley building such an animal for our pitbike at mid ohio vintage days , very simular idea of muddogs using a crf bases frame basically for the ease of finding cool parts that will just bolt up , the biggest thing with the crf frame is the rake is way too drastic for a 3 wheeler , I ended up chopping the entire frame off at the neck about 3 inches back and i machined out of a piece of dom tubing a frame section that when turned on the lathe could be slid into the existing frame with a shoulder for welding I added about 3 inches to the front of the frame and made a new steering tube and machined in seats that would accept the races from an 86 250r , I was then able to set my rake at what i wanted I used stock 250r triple clamps witch already have some rake built into them so you need to calculate that before hand . then I built aluminum reducers with shoulders on them that fit into the stock 250r triples and drop the fork tube size down , the forks are from a yamaha 225 dx they are the only ones that i found that have the right length and diameter to make them look right on the bike not some huge forks that look goofy. the rear suspension and axle set up is from those extreme atvs its a very nice set up and basically bolts right onto the frame uses a big a 1/4 in racing go kart axle so its mega strong , the engine i am using is a china 110cc 4 speed with reverse electric start semi auto witch is what i wanted for a pitbike I want something to put around on not race . the front wheel is from a new yamaha badger aftermarket itp with a nos honda 200sx ohtsu front tire 20x7x8 has that oem honda tread look . the front hub is from a tri moto 225 and i had to machine the wheel to accept it . my overall goal is to make a mini 86 250r I painted up the frame and swingarm like the 250r the engine is painted the same as the 86 I have blue fork boots coming in from a honda cub ez90 that i think will work perfect . I will post some more as it gets close to being done . I love these projects as there is no wrong way to do them just plain fun , I can see bikes like this becoming a common build item lots of cool parts out there from the pitbikes to use Mike

sandpuppi101
06-21-2009, 09:08 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong here Mike but using the CRF frame you are going to be using the stock CRF tank and shroud's,by the look of the mount's ,and what are you going to use for the rear fender's and seat ? It deffinatly look's cool and I like how you incorperated the older ATC and YTM part's into the build.So that will be the approx. size of a 125M or 110 ,won't it ?? Keep us informed and I agree that these type's of pittrike build's are gonna be the norm soon ..