PDA

View Full Version : Honda ATC 185

GohstRider
06-18-2009, 02:31 PM
Hey guys I sold my atc 90 for $250 and got a Honda 185 for $250 it's in pretty good condition no cracks in the fenders.
The thing is the brakes dont work so i was going to look at them but their are 2 nuts on the axle holding the brake cover on does anyone no how to get them off?
I dont no if one goes one way and the other the other way, their on their tight.

atctim
06-18-2009, 03:13 PM
they are both standard thread - one is for tightening the other is to lock it into place - the old "double nut"

GohstRider
06-18-2009, 03:18 PM
So they should come of by turning them to the left?
What should i do if they wont come off?
Thanks

GohstRider
06-18-2009, 03:55 PM
ok i got the double nuts and the external brake cover off, now theirs another cover over the brakes how does that one come off?

atctim
06-18-2009, 04:11 PM
that is not a cover - but rather the brake drum - it should slide right off - but my guess is it is rusted to the splines on the axle. will take some heat / penetrating oil, and lots of patience to get it off.

Do you have a manual? look on bikebandit.com for a diagram of how it all goes together and apart.

atctim
06-18-2009, 04:15 PM
here:

http://www.bikebandit.com/assets/schematics/Honda/H00850063.gif

GohstRider
06-18-2009, 04:30 PM
Ya , thanks for the diagram, how long should i heat it up?
What if i dont have penetraing oil?

greythorn3
07-16-2009, 06:21 AM
Ya , thanks for the diagram, how long should i heat it up?
What if i dont have penetraing oil?

ATF works pretty good

saturnthegiant
07-16-2009, 07:02 AM
I did this job on a 125m a while back.....more than likely the brake drum won't come off easily....i tried lots of penetrating oil, wd40, heating, it was a royal PIA! I got so ticked off i had to walk away several times! I tried hitting it with the biggest hammer i could find and a block of wood held against the end of the axle....nothing worked! Finally i got a propane torch from ACE hardware, heated that sucker up cherry red (the brake drum...try not to heat the axle if you can help) and then immediately splashed cold water on the brake drum.....then three licks with a rubber mallet to the end of the axle...and wala!

You have to drive the axle out....so you may as well replace the rear bearings while you're at it, sooner or later you'll have to do it, may as well go ahead while you have the axle out, and a set of bearings is maybe $15-20. And grease it up good too!