PDA

View Full Version : Big red differential ?

rickdavis81
06-17-2009, 12:23 AM
I'm in the process off installing new bearings and seals in the diff of my 85 250 big red. Is there a trick to removing the pinion gear nut? Also the splines inside the ring gear hub seem pretty shallow, it's allowing a little slop inbetween the axle and ring gear. Is this normal?
Thanks

Dirtcrasher
06-17-2009, 03:11 PM
That slop can mean a slightly bent axle housing. Those dam diffs all bolt to the swinger and the tubes and if it's jumped, they bend and tweak and the axle will work against that splines and wear them out.

That pinion nut is most likely rusty and on there very tight. I take apart the gear cover and jam a penny in the gears. You have to figure out where to put it and how to keep tension on it or it falls loose before you get to your bench. A really good air impact works wonders on them.

If you don't have one, you may want to just drive to any tire shop and with a sad face ask them to loosen it for you. Tire shops always have some NASTY strong impact guns!

mmiguy2103
06-17-2009, 03:18 PM
yea. I just ripped apart mine on my 250sx the other day, and i tried my impact gun with 275 ft-lbs of torque ad it didnt even touch the pinion nut lol. then i said F this and pulled out my big boy, with 1100ft,lbs of torque lol she came right off .

most are rusted on a bit.

but yea most shope would take if off for free if you go up to the mechanic of teck and not to the service counter lol.