PDA

View Full Version : PROJECT: Trail ripper 200x

3some
06-15-2009, 01:12 AM
Well I have made up my mind for my 85 200x. We ride A lot of woods around here and I am going to try to build my 200x to fit that as good as I can. It going to have to have some good ground clearence, versitile in numerous types of terrain, be able to climb, jump, hop logs, get through mud, and pull buddies off logs and out of mud. I want it to look nice when it's done but Im not going for a resto grade finish. I am doing this on a budget so most everything is going to be done with paint and used parts.

I picked this puppy up 2 weeks ago and The pull start was broke and the throttle top was off the carb. After we fixed those problems I found that the back brake was locked up, the sprocket is extremley loose, The hack welded a redneck grab bar, hack welded a trailer receiver on, hack welded the shifter back on, and they hack welded a socket for the rear brake lever pivot. As I leanred more on this sight I realized that I have a 84 200m engine on my 200x but without the electric start hooked up. After a lot of thinking about the the fact that it has the lowesr compression ratio and an auto trans and I fell further and further away from liking the engine in it. I had planned on putting a xr200 engine in and calling it a day. But after I thught about it I decided that the auto trans would be nice and so would electric start, so I started to dream up this build.....

Things wrong:
all the crappy weld jobs
the slow engine
engine blows lots of smoke
transmission shifts hard

The build plan:
Engine- Keep the case, add electric start, xr200 or 200x head with xr200 piston
Intake/exhaust- stock pipe sanded and painted, heat sheild polished, 450f titanium silencer, New uni air filter, custom airbox lid.
Suspension- new oil and seals in forks, still learning about the old rear shock.?.?
Tires- Down size to 20" rear tires to help with stability but keep ground clearance(type undecided), Front tire(undecided).
Plastics- Would like to attempt to create some custom ones from a newer atv or just get ones that are not broke.
Other- cistom fabricated grab bar, nerf bars, skid plate, case saver, and sprocket and rotor guard.

But first I need to worry about the major problems and once those are gone then I can start the real fun. First I am going to ride it for a couple weeks since I just got it then I will begin the disassembly on her. I am hoping to be done by winter time because then once I put my dirtbike away I can still ride.

Any one who has any suggestions or any tips for helping me with any of the things that are wrong just say what you have to say, I am new to trikes so bear with me as I learn.

atctim
06-15-2009, 09:03 AM
first off - 20" rear tires will not offer high ground clearance - considering that will lower it from stock stance. for trails and woods as you described - you need to go with 22" rear tires. If you want added stability - put some small (1" per side) wheel spacers on it.

harryredtrike
06-15-2009, 09:19 AM
i agree with tim.keep stock size tires for woods riding.

Kintore
06-15-2009, 09:58 AM
Nerf bars are not a good idea on a trail machine fyi, they catch in way to much junk/debris and just hold you up. They catch ALOT of things jmo

3some
06-15-2009, 12:53 PM
I am not going for more then stock ground clearence just to be a tad lower but still keep it high enough to clear rocks and logs. I am not talking like 4x4 utility quad trail riding. Like harescramble type riding My buddies atv's all have 18 to 20 inch sport tires and they do great in the trails. I just dont like the ballon tires because the have so much roll to them.

As far as the nerf bars I didnt mean the net type of nerf bars. I am going to make some that are metal and are just going to be placed under the foot peg/shifet/brake area to fave the feet from falling off and getting run over.

Thanks for the critisism though. Does any one make a non balloon type 22 inch tires? I was wanting turf tamers kinda but i would need a wider rim....

atctim
06-15-2009, 01:11 PM
You can get holeshots and turf tamers both in a 22" tall tire. They are both square profile - non-balloon type tire.

rdlsz24
06-15-2009, 01:27 PM
I have some smaller tires on mine front and rear. I don't like the look of balloony tires on a sport trike

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/rdlsz24/ATC200x/EngineIn.jpg

Rob

3some
06-15-2009, 01:45 PM
What size are your tires? front and rear? I like the looks and size of them. Near rockford IL. Im about 2 hours south of rockford....

rdlsz24
06-15-2009, 01:58 PM
Rear rims/tires are from a Suzuki Z400. Tires are Dunlop KT335 size 20x10x9.

The front is a Suzuki Ozark tire on the stock 200x rim. Tire is Dunlop KT151 size 22x7x11.

Rob

3some
06-21-2009, 12:13 PM
Well I got some more work done on here. I cut the ugly welds off on the exhaust and grab bar and now started to weld up the new grab bar. I also realized that they welded a tow hith to the swing arm! OMG this project is getting harder and harder. I thought the engine was toast because it was blowing smoke like no other but now that there is no silencer on it it dont smoke a bit so I am thinking that the packing was soaked with oil. BTW I dont know if I want to put the silencer back on...Its mean sounding!!LOL Later I will post up the pics on here and I also have a question about the carb. I have a pic but I need to know if anyone can ID it as a 84 200m carb ot the 200x carb. Also what are the diferences in these and also The fact that I cant get the thing tuned to run very good. It runs but it wont idle unless the idle is set high and it likes to pop and crack a lot, It has fuel pouring out of the overflow unless you adjust the screw then it just comes out of the gasketless float bowl. And lastley what is the correst float setting for the carb.

cduemig
12-14-2009, 04:23 AM
Sounds like you need a good rebuild kit for the carb. When you do, check the jets. The 200m used (I think) a 35 pilot and 98 main jet. The 200x uses a 38 pilot and 108 main jet. I might be slightly off on those, but you get the idea. My float is not adjustable so I doubt yours is. If the float looks ok, you probably have a bad or dirty valve. The high level would cause the carb to run very rich which could be your idle problem.

If you trail ride a lot, I would definitely put the silencer back on (after a repack). It may sound good, but it gets really annoying hearing your loud pipes reflecting off the trees of a trail and even worse to hear someone elses loud pipes.

I hate it when bubba starts welding things on. I have a 200x engine that has the sprocket and shifter welded on. The sprocket is in good shape but the shifter is mangled so I have to cut it off and maybe replace the shift shaft.