PDA

View Full Version : '86 250r no spark!

cobradude
06-14-2009, 10:09 PM
I have an '86 R that I recently purchased. No, I haven't heard it run, but it was a good deal, and I figured I could get it going again.

All resistances (ohms) read good on the coil, stator, and the exciter coil. Kill switch has been removed from the bike to eliminate it from the problem. So the only thing left is the CDI, right? Will one off of something like the cr250 work on it?
Thanks

cobradude
06-15-2009, 02:22 AM
Anybody? Anywhere?

philmoore
06-15-2009, 09:49 AM
I have an '86 R that I recently purchased. No, I haven't heard it run, but it was a good deal, and I figured I could get it going again.

All resistances (ohms) read good on the coil, stator, and the exciter coil. Kill switch has been removed from the bike to eliminate it from the problem. So the only thing left is the CDI, right? Will one off of something like the cr250 work on it?
Thanks

This happened to me. I fought with it for a LONG time. I bought several CDI, Coil and stator parts off of ebay trying to get mine to spark.

After much swapping out and cussing, I am back to the original parts and it works great. To this day, I don't know what was wrong, except, the very first time I pulled the flywheel cover, about 1/4 cup of rusty oily water came out.

I wonder if the coils were wet inside or something?

Man that electrical problem was one of the most frustrating things I've had to deal with.

cobradude
06-15-2009, 05:13 PM
Guess I will pull the cover off tonight then. I appreciate the response, philmoore.

by the way, does anybody know of a thread that lists all of the interchangeable parts on the 250r with other models?

peco250sx
06-15-2009, 07:34 PM
did you check the spark plug cap they cause intermitent, no spark that wont let it start. take off the cap (it screws off) and hold it 1/4 inch from a ground like a bolt or the engine and kick it over if you see spark get a new spark plug cap if there is no spark then its not the cap and you still got to find the problem.

cobradude
06-16-2009, 05:46 AM
Pulled the cover off last night, and guess what? WATER. Not a whole lot but enough to make me wonder how it got in there. I WD40'ed the stator and flywheel area to try to displace the water out. For some reason now I'm getting bad readings on the resistance of the stator when they checked out fine the other day. Gonna let it sit open overnight to see if it will dry out.

peco250sx, the coil that is currently on it is not the stock 250r coil, so I borrowed the one off my running 350x just to try to get spark,(the one that came on it read open across the secondary anyways).

I still don't have spark, but I feel sure now it is somewhere between the stator and the cdi unit. Does anybody know if the stator has to power the cdi unit, or does it only run the headlight?

Is it possible to check my cdi unit by putting it on my 350x? The connectors are the same............

Mosh
06-16-2009, 07:01 AM
250r's will run on a 350x cdi box.

They dont run right, but they will run in most cases.

A member on here fought a no revving problem on a 250R really hard, and came to find out someone had a 350x cdi on it. He swapped back to the R cdi and it ran fne.
Give it a try.
Also wire wheel the rust off you flywheel, paying special attention to the raised trigger block welded to the flywheel, and the little pick-up on the the black box above the flywheel.
Seal that stator cover and wire harness grommet with RTV when you re-assemble.
Check and make sure the flywheel and crank shaft do not wiggle around. Grab the flywheel and shake the crank bearings. If they are really loose, time for a new crank.

cobradude
06-16-2009, 11:26 PM
Ok, the most I had time to do today before I had to come to work was trying to get my 350x to start with the 250r cdi unit. It would not even TRY to fire. Put the 350x cdi back on, it fired up on the first kick...........

I re-read the service manual, turned out I was trying to check the stator and pickup wrong. It checks good now.

So, can anybody tell me which cdi's are interchangable? Can I use one off of a trx 250r or a cr 250r?

Mosh, there was no rust in there, and the crank bearings feel great!!!!!!!

ceaserthethird
06-17-2009, 10:47 AM
Let's see some pictures ?