PDA

View Full Version : Annoying tri moto 175 problem. Rear axle and chain adjuster...

pimpallic
06-14-2009, 09:28 PM
Has anybody had a problem with the rear axle on the 175's? My chain keeps getting massive amounts of slack and then flying off. The chain tightener/adjuster is "screwed out" all the way, but I can still move the axle back further by hand.

Basically, the chain is always loose and the adjuster does not push the axle back far enough. This is such a stupid problem. Ill try and get pics tomorrow.

old-yellow
06-14-2009, 11:00 PM
I just had that same problem about a week ago and it turn out that my sprockets and chain were so worn out that the adjuster would not tighten them anymore, I replaced the chain and sprockets and the adjuster tighten the chain no problem.

MonroeMike
06-14-2009, 11:33 PM
Is it the correct length chain? Stock is 48 links.

pimpallic
06-15-2009, 06:50 AM
The thing is the sprockets look quite decent still. The only thing I don't want to happen is to get a new chain and sprockets and then find out I still have the problem. I'm pretty sure the chain is 48 links, but I'll check later today, and try to get pics.

Thanks guys.

pimpallic
06-15-2009, 09:44 PM
Got some pics showing the gap between the adjuster and the axle. I took one of one of the bolts showing the axle can come back even further. I think somethings wrong here? :wondering Are pieces missing from the axle carrier or something?

Swamp trike
06-16-2009, 06:30 AM
I had the same problem, and found that the sprocket looked ok, so after the chain was replaced, problem was solved:Bounce

pimpallic
06-16-2009, 07:06 AM
Guess I'll have to look into a new chain. But shouldn't the adjuster move the axle back even further? Theres still a lot of room for it to do so.

chris200x
06-16-2009, 07:10 AM
is there play in the rear axle? 20+ year old bearings should probably be replaced anyways.

Vealmonkey
06-16-2009, 07:14 AM
It's tough to tell when the trike is so dirty! Who knows if the bolts are original or not. Maybe they are not the right length. Have you looked anywhere to try and see if pieces are missing? Maybe compare what you have to microfiche pictures? Here is the other thing that I haven't heard you mention one bit, does your trike have it's spring loaded chain tensioner? They had one you know. If you're trike doesn't have the spring loaded chain tensioner foot, then that could be your problem. Also there should be 2 bolts on both sides of the rear bearing carrier. One is what I would call the pivot bolt and the other bolt you loosen so the carrier moves back and forth in an arc so help provide chain tensioning. These bolts should be tight once you have your chain tension set. It all works together to give you the proper chain tension or adjustment. I have not heard you mention this either.

leokendall
06-16-2009, 08:24 AM
lol take your chain off and remove a link.

Swamp trike
06-16-2009, 11:40 AM
lol take your chain off and remove a link.

Hahaha, I tried that and then the chain was to tight!!

pimpallic
06-16-2009, 02:16 PM
It's tough to tell when the trike is so dirty! Who knows if the bolts are original or not. Maybe they are not the right length. Have you looked anywhere to try and see if pieces are missing? Maybe compare what you have to microfiche pictures? Here is the other thing that I haven't heard you mention one bit, does your trike have it's spring loaded chain tensioner? They had one you know. If you're trike doesn't have the spring loaded chain tensioner foot, then that could be your problem. Also there should be 2 bolts on both sides of the rear bearing carrier. One is what I would call the pivot bolt and the other bolt you loosen so the carrier moves back and forth in an arc so help provide chain tensioning. These bolts should be tight once you have your chain tension set. It all works together to give you the proper chain tension or adjustment. I have not heard you mention this either.

It looks to have stock-looking bolts, except one (pictured) which is a nut. Also, the lower left bolt is stripped, it just turn both ways without backing out or screwing in. I'm not total sure about missing parts... I'm pretty sure its not missing stuff. I've looked at various diagrams, and it looks all there.
Now, the trike does NOT have the chain tensioner... not to sure where it bolts on either becasue there doesn't look like there is a lot of space because the chain is so short.

old-yellow
06-16-2009, 05:03 PM
I don't have a spring loaded tensioner on mine ether all I got is a plastic wear block in the plastic cover and it only rides on that when the chain gets loose. I looked in all my microfiche I did not see any spring loaded tensioner for the 175 so I am a little confused. I tried to upload the PDF files but they are to big so it won't let me.

Alex

pimpallic
06-16-2009, 05:55 PM
I don't have a spring loaded tensioner on mine ether all I got is a plastic wear block in the plastic cover and it only rides on that when the chain gets loose. I looked in all my microfiche I did not see any spring loaded tensioner for the 175 so I am a little confused.

Alex

Same with me. I remember looking on bikebandit and also in the manual I have, and I don't recall seeing anything missing, like a tensioner. But if someone has one for cheap that I can make sure fits I'm interested.
ugghh these yamaha trikes are so confusing :rolleyes: :lol:

Vealmonkey
06-16-2009, 09:02 PM
I don't think it is a spring loaded tensioner, but on some of the trikes there is sort of a small fiber sprocket and on some there is what looks like a small fiber foot piece, but it is not on the chain guard. Then there is alwyas aftermarket. Ever seen one of these before? Aftermarket yt125/175 chain tensioner made by Pro Tec.

pimpallic
06-16-2009, 09:08 PM
... Ever seen one of these before? Aftermarket yt125/175 chain tensioner made by Pro Tec.

sweeeet lol :drool:

old-yellow
06-24-2009, 03:12 PM
So pimpallic did you get the problem solved?

pimpallic
06-24-2009, 07:55 PM
No, I haven't had a lot of time (or money). Everytime I look at the thing I debate whether to try and fix it or just get rid of it. Every single thing on it is f*** beyond reasonable repair. And I always run into stupid ass problems with it.

The only thing I can think of that's causing the current problem is I need a new chain, or something is really bent or missing, which doesn't look like it. Either way it's a dead end as I have no money or time.