PDA

View Full Version : Cagiva Build Thread

Macs
06-14-2009, 06:58 PM
This will be my official Cagiva build thread.

I have now found about 70% of my engine parts. Missing crank seals and piston/ rings i think. Got everything needed for the front fork rebuild. I have also started on restoring the tank but i might abandon that and look for a replacement. Where the decals go it has huge chunks missing. Would most likely cover up with a decal, but i would know it was there. I am getting more comfortable with idea of home powder coating everything. This will be a very long and expensive road. I spend all my spare time talking with people trying to hunt down diffrent things. When OC and Bigbore said that this was a very difficult build, they were not lieing. To find one part takes many many hours. I got lucky on a few things and have also benefited from there progress. As much time i have spent on this i could have rebuilt an airfooler already.

I have also picked up this parts bike to help me with a few things. The other pic is the pic of when i bought the three wheeler.

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu143/barry_mann/Cagiva003.jpg

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu143/barry_mann/Cagiva010.jpg

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu143/barry_mann/001.jpg

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu143/barry_mann/002.jpg

Macs
06-14-2009, 07:24 PM
Here are some pics of the tank i am trying to salvage. If you look close at the top left hand corner of the emblem you can see the gashes. I dont think i could shave down the tank enough to cover this up. So i stopped there.
http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu143/barry_mann/Cagiva017.jpg
http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu143/barry_mann/Cagiva016.jpg

Nevermind, cant tell nothing from the pics.

dcreel
06-14-2009, 08:28 PM
Great work. I'm envious. Beautiful car as well. My first car was a 66 Corvair.

ATCwithdrawals
06-14-2009, 09:37 PM
Nice project you got there. I had a chance to get one about 6 years ago, but someone else got it before me.

harryredtrike
06-14-2009, 10:48 PM
very nice project,hope you have an oven in the garage,not the one in your kitchen for your powdercoating.

Macs
06-15-2009, 09:10 AM
I am looking at building one at the moment. I need something big enough for the frame.

Macs
06-16-2009, 05:34 PM
Quite a bit of the engine parts showed up today. The rest should be here Friday. I also have possibly found a set of NOS bars and shrouds. I should find out defenitaley tomorrow morning. I might do the lower end rebuild this weekend.

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu143/barry_mann/Cagiva.jpg

Dirtcrasher
06-16-2009, 07:17 PM
Nice stuff Barry!! I'm lovin it.....

Is that depression formed into an OEM tank just for a decal?? Looks to be to me - SWEET!! :D

I'm thinking there was some other area that your camera didn't pick up which you wanted to show....

Can you get a good TIG welder for the cases??

Regardless, she's on her way and I look forward to your build BM :)

Macs
06-16-2009, 07:29 PM
I have another set of cases on my parts bike, so it will be good.

the inlet is for the the emblem, which i need one more but have a long way to go before i get to that point. I am feeling pretty good about this project. I have made tons of friends, talk to people daily. Everything i need just keeps popping up. Everytime i tell a parts house what the part is for they do everything in there power to help me out. I have talked to people who said " I use to race one" to people who say " you are full of it, i dont beleive you" shoot them a couple of pics and they are doing everything in there power to find me what i need.

Billy Golightly
06-16-2009, 07:51 PM
so whats the correct pronunciation of Cagiva? I've heard it a few different ways...

Macs
06-16-2009, 07:55 PM
I say Ca-guy-va. I am not sure if that is correct but no one has corrected me. I guy i talked to last week called it ca-geev-uh. which was pretty close to what i was saying. so i say it is between those two. Maybe Bill or Mario will chime in.

Orangecnty250r
06-16-2009, 09:15 PM
I say Ca-guy-va. I am not sure if that is correct but no one has corrected me. I guy i talked to last week called it ca-geev-uh. which was pretty close to what i was saying. so i say it is between those two. Maybe Bill or Mario will chime in.

Sweet parts.....I say ca -geee -vah but have no idea how its supposed to be said.

Saul
06-17-2009, 12:10 PM
was just talking to Jimmy White about this - he's a kidder so nobody take this personal ....

I would pronounce them as “junk”, just kidding. I think ca-geee-vah is correct

There ya go.

chrisand4
06-17-2009, 10:40 PM
Hope your build goes well, I think cagiva's are an awesome looking trike, saw this today http://charlotte.craigslist.org/mcy/1226849251.html looks like they would have been fun bikes, I never knew of a cagiva before 3ww, well good luck, hope it turns out well.

Macs
06-17-2009, 11:29 PM
All the rest of my engine parts shipped today. Piston kit, headgasket and a few small pieces.

Eric250R
06-18-2009, 08:02 PM
I have to say man, I'm really starting to get jealous. When I found mine I had to beg and plead just to find a few parts and still have a long way to go. Seems like parts are falling out of the sky for yours...:lol: Also yours is very different than mine. If you come across any parts that you don't need, please let me know, also if you decide not to use that tank, I would be more than happy to take it off your hands :D Oh, and I've heard some of the old school guys say the italians pronounced it Ca-Tee-va.

outtaline
06-18-2009, 08:42 PM
HEY BISH! You got that thing runnin yet . Your parts came in yesterday come on lets go. j/k/lol:beer

Bigbore
06-19-2009, 10:06 AM
All the rest of my engine parts shipped today. Piston kit, headgasket and a few small pieces.

You found a piston kit? Send me a PM with some info.

Bigbore
06-19-2009, 10:13 AM

The correct Italian pronunciation is Ca-gee-va. This comes from a long Italian lineage and asking family. Advantages of being Italian.

I’ve heard some people pronounce it as Ca-chee-va, there isn’t a “ch” sound in it.

Macs
06-19-2009, 11:32 AM
PM Send Bigbore

Macs
06-23-2009, 06:32 PM
Alright got the last few pieces for the engine. Piston, Ring, wristpin, crank seal and head seal. I added up the prices for complete gaskets, seals, bearings, piston kit, air box boot, motor mounts and crank seals with all shipping only $350. Not bad at all. If the temp would drop a bit i would actually start working on it. I also picked up the parts bike for $100 and will probly be able to ebay off the rest of it for a nice profit.

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu143/barry_mann/Cagiva033.jpg

HondaHarry
06-23-2009, 08:03 PM
sweet man, youre making that look like an easy build! lol j/k
what is the bore and stroke of the cagiva anyways? Id love to
see the port layout on the cylinder when you get it apart too! HH

Macs
06-23-2009, 09:06 PM
the bore is 66.96 mm. i am not sure of the stroke ( but the math should be easy from this point). i have it written down somewhere, just cant find it.

honda250sx
06-23-2009, 09:55 PM
Wow. Finding motor parts that you have found has been the real snag in other builds. I think OC was actually still looking for parts for his motor. Very nice. I know where there is a very old school Cagiva dealer. I can almost bet there are probably parts on the shelf. He was a big time off brand dealer. I should go inquire. I have a really good relationship with the owner.

Macs
06-23-2009, 10:10 PM
Thats where i have gotten lucky. i have found 2 guys that had quite a bit still on there shelves from the 80's. I have passed that info on to Bill, Mario and Eric. Hopefully they get everything they need and can get there builds completed. If you need a part number list let me know. We can always use spares and there are a few cosmetics i am still missing like any plastics.

Dirtcrasher
06-23-2009, 10:41 PM
Imagine if from the day you bought it to about 9 months later it's all done and smoking every trike you see out there :lol: :D

Nice stuff Barry! Persistence seems to have been in your favor!

You certainly must have sat down on the net and the phone for quite sometime, and it seems to have paid off immensely!!

Big respect to you BARRY MANN!! :naughty:

TrickyDickII
06-23-2009, 11:22 PM
Here is the bore/stroke info.

bore x stroke........67 x 54mm
displacement........190cc
comp ratio.............16.1:1

Macs
06-23-2009, 11:34 PM
Andy, just sent you a pm. Great to have you aboard and please stick around for a bit. Your dad is a legend.

Macs
07-01-2009, 08:57 PM
just a bit of an update. It has been reaching 105 here and we are in a drought. i guess i am starting to get old becasue i cant handle the heat like i use to. I have every engine part now plus extras to do another build. Started yanking the engine out of the frame of the WRX. the swingarm bolt is giving me hell. I tried heat, hammer, bigger hammer, another bigger hammer, air hammer, penetrate, sectioned the frame and used a jack to seperate then 3 days later i got ticked and pulled out the biggest sledge i could find. it still hasnt budged. i didnt cut it because i might need it if the other one does the same thing. Then i gave up and was going to chop it, but realized i stand a strong chance of damaging my cases..... so i am stuck for a bit. Progress is going to be slow until we drop back below 95. i will keep yall updated though.

outtaline
07-01-2009, 09:17 PM
I think you are just gettin soft. I hate swingarm bolts. I had to cut the one out of my86 200x and it is gonna cost me more money o well could be worse , could be addicted to crack instead of trikes.

Shawn72
07-02-2009, 01:54 PM
Great work Barry brother.

SYKO
07-02-2009, 04:45 PM
barry take it somewhere with a large press and have it pressed out

Macs
07-02-2009, 06:37 PM
I was looking at it today after work and realized my huge vice will fit around it.... Doh!!!!!!! I am going to do that in the morning. It makes me mad when the obvious is right in front of my face but i have to take the hard route. I will have a bunch of pics of the engine build.