PDA

View Full Version : ATC70 Clutch Removal

Frankencelery
06-13-2009, 03:03 PM
So far I've managed to avoid having to do any clutch or tranny work. With 7 3-wheelers, that's pretty amazing, but I suppose I'm not truly initiated until I do so. My son's ATC70 has very hard shifting, and thanks to a helpful person here on the forums, I was shown a service bulletin that explains what parts to replace.

So after having said parts sitting in my garage for months, we finally got around to trying to fix it. Forgive me for beeing a n00b, but I didn't realize the clutch would have to come out. So I'm now faced with the clutch nut and no clutch nut too. DrATV has one for $12, but I was hoping to get this finished today. Does anyone have any alternatives? BTW, how do you keep the housing from turning when you're trying to get the nut free? I stuck a penny between the gears, per the Clymer manual, but the housing itself still turns.

blue27
06-13-2009, 03:07 PM
well, I read in an old reapir manual, if you take a peice of pipe the same size as the clutch nut and grind it down so it has 4 notches like the tool and then drill a hole on through the other end to use a screwriver as a handel, (similar to the spark plug wrench) that may get you by.

blue27
06-13-2009, 03:14 PM
here is a pic from the manual. it does say to heat the end until cherry red and quench in oil to harden it. and aslo to use a thick walled pipe of course.
Good Luck

MonroeMike
06-13-2009, 03:32 PM
I made one to get the clutch out of my 185, not sure if it's the same as a 70.

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=95896

Frankencelery
06-18-2009, 11:55 PM
I ended up buying one from DrATV. Once I realized the project wasn't going to get done over the weekend, it didn't really matter. The tool did the job quite well, and it was only 11.99, which is a heckuva lot better than Honda's price of $40.00!