PDA

View Full Version : petcock on 200x

joshco84
06-12-2009, 07:26 PM
is there any way too clean out the petcock on a 200x? I dont think i am getting enough fuel through the petcock. Is there a way to clean it out? i know the screen isnt plugged because i pulled it out the other day. I am wondering if my problem isnt in the petcock and not the screen like i thought it was.

Or would i be better off buying a new petcock, thanks guys.

devilman
06-12-2009, 07:37 PM
i would just buy a new one, they aren't too much.

pull the line off the carb and open the petcock and see if it flows.

estranged
06-12-2009, 07:48 PM
what makes you think its not getting fuel?. have you pulled fuel line and checked already?,, don't know about 200x's, but on my SX there is also a strainer in the fuel tank,,

but not getting enough fuel while riding, if thats what you mean,, could be a multitude of things, just for starters,,,

fuel tank cap vent,,
petcock/fuel screen/strainer,,
pin hole in fuel line,,
running too lean,,

if you have checked by pulling off fuel line and not enough gas coming out,, try blowing it out with compressed air,, if that not work,, buy new one as devilman suggested,, also make sure gas cap vent not plugged, as i had this problem with my SX, no fuel coming out of petcock, as soon as crack tank cap, it came pouring out,, good luck,,

shadix518
06-12-2009, 08:33 PM
its not the petcock....if it was it would run bad before warming up as well. i would swap the coil like you plan check the plug boot,plug wire, and if none of that fix it i would test to see if the headgasket is leaking very little.....if it has a very very small leak it will run good until it warms up...becase when it warms up the metal will expand so the leak would get worse until cooled but thats last resort tho

joshco84
06-12-2009, 09:34 PM
here is the deal with the petcock and fuel shadix. It sits and runs good, but then quits running after warming up a bit. I think it is starving itself for fuel because the petcock is not letting it flow correct. Will find out in a night or two when i work on it. going to be a busy weekend already though.

You can blow back through the gas cap vent and hear it coming through fairly easily so i dont think it is the vent.

I pulled the tank screen out the other day i was going to clean it but it was froze in the tank and i tore it up getting it out.

Will pull the petcock off again and blow back through it with the air compressor and see if i get some crap out of it.

shadix518
06-12-2009, 10:05 PM
i can see how it could starve for fuel but i would think it would starve all the time unless theres junk in the petcock moving in and out but could be wrong but can never tell until a replacement goes in so i mean it is possible but just doesnt sound right to me....i would try it and if no go on that move to something else....on thing you could do is run the trike tell it gets warm with the air box assembley off once its warm and bogging have someone try to keep it running and spray some starting fluid in the carb and if it picks back up you will know it is starving for fuel i would do that before replaceing the petcock

estranged
06-13-2009, 01:06 AM
oh if it is already running well and then dies out,, and sounds like fuel tank vent fine,, then i agree with shadix and that most likely not petcock, unless tank full of rusty bits of junk, plugging stuff up as it moves through.

But dying out after warm up could mean alot of things,, as simple as valve clearence or dirty carb, to bent valve, worn rings/piston/cylinder to bad head gasket, and much more... when the trike dies have a fresh new sparkplug or two, and as soon as dies hop off and see if there is spark, and how much,,
maybe even try a compression check also right after it dies out,,

but there are many many things that could cause this,, i hope you figure it out and it is not too serious,,or expensive,,