PDA

View Full Version : exhaust stud

AutoXer
06-12-2009, 06:19 PM
My 200x project has a problem. When you thread a bolt into the head you can see almost half the bolt ...... the threads of the bolt .... would brazing be a good option ? I know it should have been tig welded and re-drilled and tapped but I didn't do that so any info would be helpful. Mapp gas is hot enough to braze with ? my camera dosen't do good close ups sorry

trizilla
06-12-2009, 06:23 PM
Mapp gas will work for brazing but im not sure the braze would take the heat right there at the exhaust port.

AutoXer
06-12-2009, 07:43 PM
maybe i will take the motor out again and get it tigged up then it will be better. Its a tight spot but it needs to be pretty strong

Daddio
06-12-2009, 08:25 PM
Is the stud broken off in the hole or are the threads bad? You can't braze aluminum so if the threads are bad you can either tap it out with a 1/4-20 tap and use that size bolt in it , use a heli-coil in it ,or have it welded up re-drilled and tapped. If there is still a piece of the old stud in there it will need to be removed so you can get the bolt or stud in far enough.

AutoXer
06-12-2009, 08:39 PM
no the old stud is gone

MonroeMike
06-12-2009, 09:55 PM
Is that the stock size bolt? Looks like someone drilled and tapped that already (too big).

harryredtrike
06-13-2009, 12:12 AM
i agree with daddio,that is not a place to f around.do it right

freaksfix
06-13-2009, 06:03 AM
Im wondering if someone has been in there and re tapped to something else, is that a nut welded to the other stud hole?... Id try a different bolt if that dont work just try chasing the treads with the right metric tap maybe they are alittle messed up, and if that still dont work drill and retap, even if youve got to drill the hole bigger in the flange collar for the bigger bolt... I have used braze on exhaust befor and it held up, but like didio said it wont work on aluminam.. Scott said you cant get it to fire too? You know you can put the pluse rotor in backwards and it will be 180 out, try turning the rotor 180 and see what happens..

AutoXer
06-13-2009, 05:38 PM
i looked closer and some one was indeed in there before and filled the old hole to make a new one and the bit must have wondered on them ....... damn hacks lol off to the machine shop I go...