PDA

View Full Version : 1983 honda bigred 200e project

git-er-don2005
06-12-2009, 02:19 AM
Well i just bought a 1983 honda big red. And i just ordered some tires for it they are Maxxis rubicon 25x13.5x9 just wondering if this trike will power these big tires..Also i am running a snorkle out of my exhaust and intake.. just wondering if the trike will run different if i snorkle everything if so what??
Help would be greatly appreciated

leokendall
06-12-2009, 09:29 AM
should be no problem on the tires, i have ran 25x13x9 before.
for the snorkle the only thing that "MIGHT" happen in the bike may be a lil richer.

git-er-don2005
06-12-2009, 11:07 AM
Yea kinda thought it would run richer.. Will i have to seal the Air box?

leokendall
06-15-2009, 08:41 AM
usally the air box is sealed except for a drainage hole. on the safe side just seal ever hole or seam.

leokendall
06-15-2009, 08:42 AM
running a lil riched is alot better than running a lil leaner. You might have to chain your oil more often, but then again if your going in deep water chainging your oil realy often is a good thinge to do anyway.

daniel_250r
06-15-2009, 04:52 PM
make sure you run your crank case breather to the bars, and dielectric grease all electrical connections. and carb vents should be rerouted as well, it going to be a tight fit putting hose on the air box and running it past the frame snorkel

git-er-don2005
06-16-2009, 12:49 PM
make sure you run your crank case breather to the bars, and dielectric grease all electrical connections. and carb vents should be rerouted as well, it going to be a tight fit putting hose on the air box and running it past the frame snorkel

Yes i Just did that. . ran the carb breathers and crank breather up to handle bar.. What would be the best place to put the snorkel from the air box.. andy ideas??

git-er-don2005
06-17-2009, 12:20 PM
Any help?......

daniel_250r
06-17-2009, 03:28 PM
how deep do you plan on going? the frame snorkel is enough if you water wheelie, for waist deep water

git-er-don2005
06-17-2009, 04:17 PM
yea ..but im doing it for just in case... prob go a little deeper to.. just wanna know the best place for the air box snorkel would be?????

oscarmayer
06-18-2009, 09:36 AM
don't forget if you go too deep you also need to do the exhaust and also how are you 100% certain the airbox will hold out the water? you better plan on getting a NEW one as the ol done probebly has some worn spots and will let water seap in.

also there's as hole in the bottom for letting water drain when it gets in. your going to have to cover it or better yet, run a dorect hose from the engine crank case breather vent to that. this will ensure the engine itseld foes NOT suck water and seals your hole.

some guys use a pvc pupe out the side of the trike sticking up. they connect the box to frame hose to it instead and then put a foam filter on the end as well. this allows for them to stif the snorkle up abotu 2ft above the seat and ensures it's out of the water for certain. again the exuast, the issue i have seen is water CAN get into it and if it does, your screwed. your best and safest way to fix this is to eitehr remvoe the muffler and add a pipe that oes out the back and then faces up and climbs up like 1-2 ft or make an adapter that will go voer the end of yours and then turn up. it's the safest thing at this point. not pretty, but works.

is there a reason your planning on swimming with your trike? have you gone through evertyhting and replaced all seals and hoses? if not, before you submerge it, you need to. the wheel/steering bearings will be toas tin a couple of weeks if you don't and there's other thigns that can such water in like if there's an oil leak, it will suck water through it when submerged (or can).

i rebuilt my 200e (82 model) and i wouldn't sink it.to me it's not worth taking that chance. it's not a boat.

git-er-don2005
06-18-2009, 07:23 PM
I just want to do this because i go on quad derbys.. and i want to be on the safe side of not sinking it... Also you said that i pull my exhaust right off and run a pipe .....All i did was took my regular exhaust and welded a pipe on the end of it and ran it up...But if i do take my exhaust off will that blow my motor??..or would it be good????