PDA

View Full Version : Restoration questions

Darren
06-11-2009, 08:53 PM
I'm restoring an 85 200X and an 85 250R and i'm looking for some advice from others who have done this.
If i'm using the existing axle what can i do to prevent it from rusting, are there any types of coatings to use.
I've purchased rebuilt brake calipers and they look brand new but the people i bought them from wouldn't tell me how they did it. All they said was they shot it with glass bead and did some sort of paint dip. They then sanding the raised sections to expose the casting beneath giving it a 2 tone appearance. i've also seen the same look on the engine as well but i wish i knew what they did.

Thank you

Darren

200xfreek
06-11-2009, 11:27 PM
Most people try to figure the best way to remove old finishes. Aircraft stripper on most painted surfaces work best. However it wont remove dirt,oil or rust. The stripper cant be used on plastic unless you buy the type which can. Beadblast or sandblasting for pitted or rusted surfaces is best. If you run into rust you cant sand off,stripp,or sandblast, soak it in oxalic acid. This is available in powder form off e-bay to be mixed with water. Once the parts have soaked ,and your rust dissolved,clean with backing soda and clean water. Apply your new finish as you see fit. Enamel,polyeurothane,polyester or powdercoat,take your pick. Usually a two tone polished/painted piece is painted first the sanded or filed down then polished and finally cleared.

Macs
06-11-2009, 11:31 PM
Are you restoring it??? Or just rebuilding it? If you are doing a resto you can not paint it.

I have a feeling you are just rebuilding a wheeler ( sorry i get bent out of shape when restore is thrown around ). I would blast it with sand and powder coat it or maybe even zinc it. but dont paint it.

200xfreek
06-11-2009, 11:36 PM
They prep the surface, painted the piece then sanded or polished or both the letters or pieces :then clear them to keep the look fresh.:)

200xfreek
06-11-2009, 11:48 PM
nothing wrong with painting it, if done right. I just stripped the original painted finish off my 200x that has lasted and shined for 24+ years. If i wasted money on powdercoating i couldnt ever finish projects in a decent buget or time frame.Keep it vintage use paint like honda and the rest of the bike makers. Really a resto with powdercoat is overkill pricewise and not factory duplicated re-finish. You can mix paint any color but not powder!

Darren
06-12-2009, 07:11 AM
I'm doing a total restoration from the ground up but it will take me some time since I can't throw as much money into this now as i'd like. I'm going the powder coat route only b/c i have a good chance of getting a really good deal at a local powdercoater since i send them so much work from my business.

I've owned nothing but 3 wheelers since 84 and never had a
250R or 200X (the 2 bikes i've always wanted since i was a kid) until now so i'd like to make them look as new as possible. I realize this will take me some time to do since money is a factor but after seeing some of the trikes in this forum and the restoration jobs done i had to ask the questions on how you guys are doing it.

For bolting do most people send out the existing pieces for plating of can you find them new? For the 250R i'm finding parts relatively easy but the 200X is giving me problems.
Same thing with my axles, they are straight and in good shape i was wondering if they could be dipped or plated somehow but i'm sure the threads will cause some problems.

mmiguy2103
06-12-2009, 07:29 AM
i had a friend yrs back poweder coat his axle on his raptor. he powdercoated it white. i guess to match his white raptor. it actually didnt look bad. and looks to be holding up perfectly fine.

they have clear powder coat . just mack off all the threads and go to town.

200xfreek
06-12-2009, 08:47 PM
hit me with an e-mail on my regular address stangfreak89@cox.net im doing a 85 200x now and have 100 or so photos.