PDA

View Full Version : Tri Z problems

vrswiss
06-10-2009, 10:41 AM
Hey guys and gals, I'm new to the board, Hello! I just picked up a 85 Tri Z last month and it has some issues. When I brought it home it ran great but needed wheel bearings, pegs, bolts etc. It sat for a couple of weeks while I got this stuff together. Fired it up and now its bogging and running like crap. I pulled the carb and found many problems with it so i replaced it with a nice stock carb, jetted stock. Still bogging and inconsistent across the rpm range although it is running slightly better. It does start and idle well. Compression is only around 110 psi but it DID run great like this before. I have done lots of searching on here and am aware of things like the busted woodruff key( I have a fly wheel puller on order to see whats up there, would it run at all if this happened?)and vacuum leaks. I did notice yesterday while doing some testing that the lights are pulsing or not working at all. After work today I plan on going at it with my multimeter to start testing the connections and figuring what is up there and to test the resistance on the coil. I figured while sitting in front of this computer all day at work I would throw this up here to get guidance on places to start and things to check. I have already received some great help on here for some other issues. I am looking forward to making this machine nice again. Last time I had a 3 wheeler was in 86 when my folks bought me a new 200x :naughty: Thanks
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h298/whitebirdrocks/85%20TRI-Z/DSC02015.jpg

Lukeatc185
06-10-2009, 10:54 AM
well it sat for a couple weeks. check the muffler there could be a mouse or rat stuck in there.

vrswiss
06-10-2009, 11:03 AM
well it sat for a couple weeks. check the muffler there could be a mouse or rat stuck in there.

Thats definately not the issue :D. There is a slight exhaust leak since the tab for the 3rd spring is missing from under the cylinder nut (anyone got one of these to sell, I see they are discontinued?). doubt this is the problem though since it ran fine like this in the 15 minutes I rode it after bringing it home. I have changed the fuel and plug as well with no luck. Its pretty consistant at bogging in the bottom, then will hit hard and start to die out then hit again. I am wondering if its something with the ignition or wiring? Luckily I have and know how to use a multimeter and follow a wiring diagram.

vrswiss
06-10-2009, 02:02 PM
I just checked the ignition coil, pick up coil and source coil and they all test within range(mostly). The secondary on the ignition coil was a litttle high at 9.1k. I am getting about 4k resistance from the plug connector itself. Is this normal?

Mosh
06-11-2009, 06:21 PM
It wouldnt start if you sheered the key.They usually back kick you or back fire and blow the fuel pump vacumm line off if that is the case.

Just for the heck of it, disconnect your on-off switch and see if it runs better.
Man though...Trying to diagnose a running problem with compression that low is almost impossible.

vrswiss
06-11-2009, 07:58 PM
It wouldnt start if you sheered the key.They usually back kick you or back fire and blow the fuel pump vacumm line off if that is the case.

Just for the heck of it, disconnect your on-off switch and see if it runs better.
Man though...Trying to diagnose a running problem with compression that low is almost impossible.

Thanks Mosh. I did some more checking today and found the head gasket is leaking(coolant is running out). Also saw smoke coming from the flywheel side of the case so I guess the crank seal is bad too. I am going to go ahead and pull the motor and go through it top to bottom. Might as well at this point. Atleast then I wil know what I'm working with.

Looks like the lighting coil is toast all of the sudden too. Resistance is at 5 ohms I'm getting a very low voltage from it. hopefully by mid summer this thing will be tip top :beer

brapp
06-11-2009, 09:07 PM
yous still ahead of me and my tri[z project but goo dluck with it

Bryan Raffa
06-12-2009, 11:25 AM
I would do a rebuild,, and put a PWK carb on it ..
what kind of pipe ,silencer is that?

found that tab... Ill send that out

vrswiss
06-12-2009, 01:34 PM
I would do a rebuild,, and put a PWK carb on it ..
what kind of pipe ,silencer is that?
Yeah, pulling the motor out and apart next week. Hopefully the swingarm bolt isn't too much of a pain. The case has a crack behind kickstarter so I'll probably pick up a case half on ebay while its apart. I will say, the JB weld fix I did on it seemed to work and hold during all of the test runs I have been doing on this:lol: I peaked at the piston through the exhaust outlet and it looks brand new. Hopefully it is.

I have no idea. The pipe looks pretty nice and seems to fit okay aside from the one missing spring. The silencer just looks like one of the universal ones. I found a new DG setup for $150 for the pipe and silencer so I couldn't turn that down. Maybe I can get a few bucks for this pipe? Ebay here we come

Thanks for hooking the tab up for me. I am sure I'll hassle you somemore once I start trying to split this puppy.:)

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h298/whitebirdrocks/85%20TRI-Z/DSC01969.jpg

Bryan Raffa
06-12-2009, 01:51 PM
never seen one with a mid section like that

Bryan Raffa
06-12-2009, 08:03 PM
found it ...;)