PDA

View Full Version : 86 tri-z and 86 atc350x question

350xman
06-10-2009, 12:43 AM
Hi Guys
I have a few questions about my 86 tri-z and 86 atc350x? First question is where can you buy a fuel pump kit? I tried to start my 86 tri-z and it wasn't getting the fuel to start it. It seems like the fuel pump won't draw any gas into itself. Can any of the Tri-s gurus help me out on this? Last fall it ran perfectly when I put it away, I drained all the fluids in the fall and then replaced them all again this past weekend.
My second question is for all the 86 atc 350x gurus what is the best chain to buy for my 350x? Is o-ring chain alot better than a non o-ring chain? Also, if I step up to a 14 tooth drive sprocket how much bottom end will I loose with my 350x ,will it be very noticeable or not? I know I ll gain some mph on the top end but is it worth it or not? I know it depends on your riding style and riding terrain. Any info would be apperciated.
Thanks 350xman

Sinbad46
06-10-2009, 05:21 AM
you can buy a fuel pump kit at any Yamaha dealer!!! And check your carb for your no start issue!!! Maybey a good carb cleaning

Mosh
06-10-2009, 07:22 AM
Let me share my experiences with the Z fuel pumps.

It is very rare they fail. Even all the ones I built, I used the 20 year old fuel pumps, took them apart cleaned them and they ran fine.Even in a thread search on the topic, others say they rarely fail.

Usually after a Z loses it's fuel prime, especially after a drain, and storage time, it is a major PITA to get them primed back up.
My advice would be to take the supply line to the carb off at the secondary petcock, and use a turkey baster type, syringe filled with your pre-mix gas, fill the carb up thru the supply line, squirt some in the cylinder thru the spark plug hole, and re attach the fuel line to the pump and open all valves and make sure the tank has some good new gas in it..
Start the Z on the carb prime procedure. That should make it run long enough for the vacumn to build in the fuel pump and get it flowing again.
If that doesnt work, then take apart the fuel pump and inspect for debris holding the check valve open, or pinholes in the diaphragms.Then worry about a rebuild kit.

As for the 350X chain questions....Definately go with a quality O-ring chain.
They last longer,stronger, and stretch less.
A 14 tooth will make a difference in the front, but unless you do hillclimbing, or slow trail riding, I doubt it will affect your low end grunt to a point you dont like.

350xman
06-12-2009, 01:00 AM
Thanks for the advice Mosh and Sinbad.
I ll try what you guys suggested and see what happens this weekend. Its going to be a great weekend for riding, mid 80 to 90's out at the lake. I ve only had the Z for 3 summers now and this is the first summer that it would start and I ve used the same end of season storage routine and haven't had any trouble up until this year. I guess if I am back on Tuesday ask for more advice you ll know I didn't get it running.
Thanks 350xMAN:beer

350xman
06-12-2009, 01:01 AM
One thing I forgot to mention my idiot Yamaha dealer told me I can 't get a rebuild kit for an 85-86 tri-z fuel pump. He said I have to buy a new one at $295.00 a pop.
See ya later.
350xman

tecat-z
06-12-2009, 01:02 PM
Your dealer is wrong. I just ordered 2 kits in April......
Part# 38w-w1391-01-00

Dirtcrasher
06-12-2009, 02:14 PM
I run a 14 and with 20" tires it seems to be a great gearing with my Supertrapp muffler and the airbox lid off.

22" tires, may cost you a bit off the line.