PDA

View Full Version : another bad stator from ricky stator/jet question

kasuki
06-08-2009, 05:24 PM
i bought a new fly wheel an stator for my 84 tecate about 4 weeks ago.i was having trouble with timming so i bought brand new stuff.well i put the stuff in an started the bike ran ok but timming was still off so i took it for a short ride around the yard an i quite.but would start right back up well i tried everything i even bought a different cdi thought that was the problem.well sunday morning i put the original stator back in an ran the new flywheel it now runs finially i took me 4 years an 2 months to finially get to ride it.the bike feels quick it has a slight bog off the start then clears up mid to full throttle.im running a 280 main an a 35 piolit i know the piolit is smaller than the factory 45 but i thought it might be rich because i turned the choke on while riding an the bog got no better.any one have a idea if i might be doing the wrong thing.im running a clamp on uni filter stock carb,dg pipe an silencer.how do you test if you are running the proper piolit jet ?

s8an
06-03-2010, 05:59 AM
your pilot jet is just your idle jet. if it idles fine with the 35 then cool. but if it idles low, then kick it up to a 40 or 45.

fabiodriven
06-03-2010, 10:15 AM
I don't know why you would ever have a smaller pilot than stock. I'd put the 45 in and go from there.

AutoXer
06-03-2010, 10:26 AM
your needle position controls from just off idle and mid range. Where is your clip? and i also agree with fabiodriven in that you almost never go down in jet size from factory

nd4speed
06-03-2010, 02:58 PM
I had an OEM stator go bad like that. Motor would die but would start right up again. Go a minute or two then die again. Repeat. The stator tested an OHM or 2 low on the tester so it was weak but not dead.

Um when you have a fresh bore, after market pipe, and run open air filter you flow more air which pulls in more fuel and can actual more times than not make the fuel mixture richer without any jet changes (compared to OE).

3wheelmecca
06-03-2010, 03:08 PM
yup, Im running a DG system, uni filter, and new rings, I have had to do nothing to it.

KASEY
06-03-2010, 08:22 PM
your needle position controls from just off idle and mid range. Where is your clip? and i also agree with fabiodriven in that you almost never go down in jet size from factory

wrong ,,, look at a jetting chart before you start GUESSING. how about 1/4 throttle and above...
http://i45.tinypic.com/29pq1zn.jpg

AutoXer
06-03-2010, 11:59 PM
i wasn't guessing i was speaking from experience from jetting 2 strokes, 4 strokes, singles, twins, old 4 cylinders, and newer (not brand new) 4 cylinders . Kasey with your experience I am surprised that you would believe that old chart that states that your slow jet takes you too 1/4 throttle. Your chart does show that a different taper on your needle will make a difference before its position? I question that as well. A different tapper will change the characteristics of how a motor revs and is more of a fine tuning option IMHO
Good luck Kasuki