PDA

View Full Version : ATC 70 Help

ohio350x
06-06-2009, 11:20 PM
Hello everyone! I recently got a 1985 70 in a trade. The previous owner modded the 70 and I can't get a spark out of it. He took the points off and wired in an ignition chip. I'm unsure if he wired the chip wrong or if the coil is just bad. Let me know if you have any ideas. Has anyone ever used this chip? There is a black wire coming up out of the engine on the left side. It is running to the positive side of the chip, then this is another wire running from the positive side of the chip to the postive side of the coil. The negative wire runs from the negative side of the chip to the negative side of the coil. Does this sound right? How would you set ignition timing? I thought you would use the points gap to retard or advance timing. Thanks

Daddio
06-07-2009, 03:29 AM
Hello everyone! I recently got a 1985 70 in a trade. The previous owner modded the 70 and I can't get a spark out of it. He took the points off and wired in an ignition chip. I'm unsure if he wired the chip wrong or if the coil is just bad. Let me know if you have any ideas. Has anyone ever used this chip? There is a black wire coming up out of the engine on the left side. It is running to the positive side of the chip, then this is another wire running from the positive side of the chip to the postive side of the coil. The negative wire runs from the negative side of the chip to the negative side of the coil. Does this sound right? How would you set ignition timing? I thought you would use the points gap to retard or advance timing. Thanks
I've seen that type of setup before but never used one. I thought about getting one for my 70 but I wasn't sure how they would really work.

ohio350x
06-07-2009, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the reply Daddio. I am trying to find out more about this chip because I have never seen it before. It is square shaped and not much bigger than a quarter.

MonroeMike
06-07-2009, 12:19 PM
Not sure if this is what you have...It might help though.

http://www.3wheeler.org/vb/showthread.php?t=3993