PDA

View Full Version : flywheel issue

ovhonda1
06-06-2009, 05:06 PM
So the 86 tecate will run with a pull start but not good. Keep it revved and it runs. WIll not idle but for about 10 seconds and dies. Kick starting is useless. The carb is clean/ jetted correctly, intake boot is not leaking. I am thinking that the stator/flywheel may be the problem because of a very weak spark? Anyway, took the cover off and the flywheel is very rusted. Bought a puller but the threads on the inside of the flywheel are gone. Previous owner must have stripped them all the way out because it is smooth in there. Questions: Does the problem sound like the stator/flywheel/weak spark issue? CDI? If this is the problem, any ideas on how to remove the flywheel? I am at a loss guys, any input would be helpful. Thanks

fabiodriven
06-06-2009, 05:16 PM
The Tecate flywheels do not have threads on the inside. You pull them with a 3-way puller with 3 bolts that go into the 3 bolt holes on the flywheel.

Lukeatc185
06-06-2009, 05:23 PM
fabio is right, and i hear that the fllywheel / stator is mega common on those tecates.

MTS
06-06-2009, 05:33 PM
Could possibly be, But i would be looking at the compression first, Low primary compression will cause that issue, Could just be worn, or a ring walked off the pin and snagged, (improper installation is also possible) The Mag could be at fault, as they lose there magnitizim it takes more rpms to Induce the field in the coils, simply put, Seen LARGE holes in the header section of the exaust pipe cause simlar problems too.

ovhonda1
06-06-2009, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the input so far. Where would I get a 3 way puller for the tecate? Can you buy them at auto parts stores or are they a Kawi tool?

ovhonda1
06-07-2009, 09:30 AM
Looked on ebay for a 3 way puller, but they don't look like they would bolt into the flywheel, but rather pull from the outside? Where can I get the right one?

fabiodriven
06-07-2009, 01:35 PM
Just go to the local auto parts store and get a steering wheel puller. Has to have three slots, though.

ovhonda1
06-07-2009, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the advice Fabio. I bought a three prong puller and used the air driver-POP! Anyway, here's what I found. The magnets are loose and there was quite a bit of dirt, rust, etc in there. Going to replace the whole thing and hopefully she will run like she is supposed to.

ovhonda1
06-07-2009, 06:58 PM
John,
Good to hear from you. Not really sure what you are doing with the Science Fair Project, but more power to you. You want me to bring it to trikefest? Also, you seem to know a bit about these, Ricky Stator the way to go? What about the lighting coil how does that wire into the system. All new to me so I thought that I would ask.

fabiodriven
06-07-2009, 08:11 PM
I run the Ricky flywheel and stator with no issues. Other guys don't like them so much, but mine has worked out just fine.

Tecate 50
06-07-2009, 08:18 PM
Ditch the tecate stuff if possible! Try to find an entire 83-86 kx250 set up!

dcreel
06-07-2009, 08:32 PM
Ditch the tecate stuff if possible! Try to find an entire 83-86 kx250 set up!

How hard is the 83-86 kx setup to time, and what all would a guy need to make it work?

Tecate 50
06-09-2009, 07:48 PM
Its much simpler....the flywheel is smaller, and can be timed without pulling off the flywheel....you need the (Flywheel, CDI, Stator) to complete the system. All coils are the same. Dont be fooled by some advertised KX250 CDI's on E-Bay. The KX250 CDI is a black plastic box with (1) mounting hole. KXT250 boxes are steel and have (2) mounting holes.