PDA

View Full Version : questions for tires on my 82 R

Manny55
07-23-2003, 06:03 PM
Right now i have stock tires on my 82 R 22x11 front and rear. i wanted to change the rear to 20x11 would i need to change the front to 20x11 to because someone said it might need to stay at a certain angle for the engine to lube right.

-Manny

350Xccelerator
07-23-2003, 06:39 PM
get some 20x11 holeshots thats what i have on my 350x i like them real good.

Manny55
07-24-2003, 12:56 AM
acutely im gonna get some jackals for my 82 R because there for all conditions so i thing that will be the way to go.

-Manny

Manny55
07-24-2003, 11:54 AM
What do you guyz thing about getting jackals for my R they r all conditions tires??

Mobular
07-24-2003, 12:31 PM
I'll second the Holeshot tires! Great grips!

bigred110
07-24-2003, 12:51 PM
Has anybody tried the Cheng Shin C-828 back wards in the sand?
I'm just looking for a once in a while sand tire.

Wickedfinger
07-24-2003, 02:16 PM
... dont worry about that engine lube non-sense. The real question is "What Type of Riding Do YOU DO?", and not knowing this, I'll write this assuming you were me. I had a set of 22" Gateway Wooley Boogers on the back with a 22" Dunlap offset style Knobby on the front of my '82 R and they worked perfectly, in all of the conditions I rode in. I wouldn't drop down to 20" or go with a low profile tire for a couple of reasons. First is that unless you plan on doing just straight TT type riding you need to keep in mind that with the limited suspension of the early R's, you NEED a bouncy balloon or at least semi-balloon type tire just for the simple fact that the machine was designed around them. Also, your a s s will thank you for it in the "long run". Second, I think you would be limiting yourself rather severely in your top speed with a set of 20"s (perhaps loose as much as 10mph off the top). You could probably off-set this with a front sprocket tooth change, but with the engine only putting out 18-20hp and the almost surely heavier than original tires, you will be creating greater engine loads which will certainly cut down on performance and the "fun" factor. Personally, If I were you, and there wasnt alot of mud around where you ride, I'd consider bolting on a set of Kenda Scorpions. They are a great all-around tire for the early machines. If there is mud or you like the snow, either try a setup like mine or use a set of the lighter and far less expensive C-829's.