PDA

View Full Version : 250r center case question

Mad-V-maxr
06-02-2009, 11:15 PM
I bought a 85 atc 250r with a weld repaired left side center case from you guessed it chain derailment. So I buy a very nice case off ebay and mention it to the guy who does my cylinder boring. He tells me no can do with swapping out center cases they are matched sets from the factory. Alignbore issue says he would'nt swap them they wont work or last very long. I can understand everything he says but do any of you guys have issues with swapping centercases???????? Or is this just a problem with LQ 250r motors being built over 5 year period of time. I have experience with machine work and understand most bearing fit and tolerances between shafts and gear mesh, but arent people swapping these center case out with no issues with shifting or crank and balancer shaft problems???

KASEY
06-02-2009, 11:31 PM
alot of case swapping goes on all the time,,,,, i have done it twice... no issues...

Saleenster
06-02-2009, 11:44 PM
alot of case swapping goes on all the time,,,,, i have done it twice... no issues...

True, I have muliple sets and no issues with either.

rich250rracer
06-03-2009, 12:19 AM
250R center cases are not matched. They use a center case gasket, which allows for some minor imperfections between the two halves. If it were gasketless center cases, like most Yamahas, then you would need to buy a matched set. I've mixed and matched 250R center cases many times with no troubles, that's why Honda sells them separately.

Mad-V-maxr
06-03-2009, 12:31 AM
Thank you guys, I thought, There are'nt any alignment dowls to my knowledge on these cases. Thats a load of my mind, almost a 175 beans down the drain and wouldnt feel right trying to sell it to someone that would have problems with it not working.

Red Rider
06-03-2009, 02:43 PM
I thought, There are'nt any alignment dowls to my knowledge on these cases.Ahh, but there are alignment dowels, 2 to be exact, in the centercases.