PDA

View Full Version : 200ES questions

ilmoakw
06-01-2009, 10:16 AM
I broke off a exhaust stud with about 1/4 inch or better sticking out. I'll be damned if i can get it out so I have to put a new head on it. I have some questions though.

The manual I downloaded for the 200ES doesn't have proper disassembly instructions for removing the engine. What is the easiest way to do this? Can the sub transmission (hi/lo/reverse) be removed in one piece without messing with the gears inside? If i remove the rear end and the rubber boot for the drive shaft will it simply slide out? Does anyone have any tips for me?

plastikosmd
06-01-2009, 11:16 AM
I just did this with advice from this site. I found it easier to remove the whole rearend first. Relase the boot, and unbolt the rear from the frame. the rear will then slide back and off. There is a slip joint at the universal. I was able to pop the motor out the left side of the bike. I was able to remove it intact including the carb after taking the boot off there to the airbox. It is not the easiest, and does involve a twist, lift, turn etc. With more dissasembly it would be easier. It is also easier if you have a second person but my wife was having nothing to do with it!

leokendall
06-02-2009, 08:45 AM
I took my engine out a few times, and put it back, all by myself.
Remove the rear end and the rubber boot. Thne pull all the bolts out. the engine should come out with a few turns and make sure to unhok all the wiring connections from the motor as well, and don't forget the wire to the starter.

Getting the engine out isn't that bad but puttin it back in can be a real pain.
i'm not a big guy but i can do it it by myself, so any one prob can.

rebel33382
06-02-2009, 10:17 PM
STOP!!!!!! You can pull the head off without taking the engine out! Just double nut the head/jug studs and remove them, will save you alot of time and energy! TRUST ME!

harryredtrike
06-02-2009, 10:22 PM
with a quarter inch you should be able to get it out.soak it overnight with pb blaster.tap it a few with hammer and work it with visegrips.tip it over or up so blaster will soak in and not off the stud

Erics350x
06-02-2009, 10:48 PM
Just have someone weld a nut to the broken stud and remove it while its still hot. If not i have a head i'll sell you for $20 plus shipping

leokendall
06-03-2009, 10:15 AM
i should of read the full post, if you got a 1/4" of bolt left out your luckly, put a lil heat on it, tap it with the hammer a few time and work it with the grips, like what have been said. if it breaks of again, just drill it out and retap.

Don't Remove the ening if you don't have to.
You will go stright to He!! with all the cussing you will do trying to get the engine back in.

ilmoakw
06-03-2009, 10:23 AM
STOP!!!!!! You can pull the head off without taking the engine out! Just double nut the head/jug studs and remove them, will save you alot of time and energy! TRUST ME!

OK its early and im still half asleep... double nut the head/jug studs? Care to elaborate? Are you meaning to remove the studs completely? This would make things soooo much easier. Please shed some light on this... I got a big run saturday and the quicker i can get this thing back together the better..

ilmoakw
06-03-2009, 10:39 AM

OK i was just looking at it. Sitting where the seat is supposed to be toe two studs on the right should pull up and not interfere with the frame at all as well as the left forward one. The left rear stud doesn't look like it will pull up as the frame in the way. Do you think that by removing the engine mounting bolts the engine can be rotated enough to have that stud clear?

1984ATC200S
06-03-2009, 10:12 PM
Heat! it goes along ways, get a torch oxy/Act or even propane, but heat that baby up and put some vise grips on it, heat will do wonders

plastikosmd
06-04-2009, 07:14 AM
yes, instead of grabbing studs with vice grips and turning them into scrap, put 2 nuts on and lock them together, unscrew stud from bottom nut