PDA

View Full Version : Can I polish an axle?

kilabeez0
07-23-2003, 12:31 AM
My axle is pretty rusty and beat. Today was it's day for cleaning on my resto, i've been using carb cleaner like it's my job :!: that along with soaking in engine degreaser, and scrubbing with gas with a wire brush. Anyway today is my B-day and i'll hopefully be getting those polishing wheels. After I'm done cleaning the axle can I polish it?

On my 110 after I cleaned it, I gave it to a friend to sandblast (i know i should bead blast, but beggers cant be choosers) and then painted it and it came out nice. So should I have it blasted, or can I just polish it? I'd rather not ask him again since he just did my hubs.

BLAZERONE22
07-23-2003, 12:47 AM
Do you have any pics of that 110? thats my next project. track me down a rear fender!

atcmatt
07-23-2003, 07:43 AM
yeah you can

do what i did sand it back then polish it then clear coat it up so it doesnt rust!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

matt

roofinggun
07-23-2003, 11:14 AM
When I changed my bearing I used a dremel with those little sanding drums. I cleaned everything right off. It took about 6 of those drums to do the whole thing.

skippy
07-23-2003, 11:17 AM
or i can get it powdercoated for around $70, or chromed for $125...

GreenBoy
07-23-2003, 03:08 PM
If the axle is chromed it will have to be polished before anyway.
This job will cost about 100$, like Skippy said.
My tip is get it new zinc coated, it costs only about 10-15$ and
you donīt need to do any job before.
The shop removes the rust by putting the axle into a special bath.
The part looks like new and itīs cheap.
Hope this helps ;)

kilabeez0
07-23-2003, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the tips. All my money is going into the motor, new plastic etc. I'm not shelling out $125 for a chrome beat up axle! I just wanted to know if I can just use those polishing wheels on my bench grinder to make it look good.