PDA

View Full Version : Wide Pegs on ATC250R

philmoore
05-24-2009, 09:57 PM
I drug out my '86 R yesterday and got it running again. :Bounce

It hasn't been run since 2003!!!

I got it running with the intent of selling it. But, F.T.S.

I was scoot'n around my track and having a blast and noticed the footpegs are kinda slippery, skinny, and generally scary.

I was kind of wishing I had some heel guards or some protection and started doing a little research for some wider better pegs. Then, I remembered I had my stock 450R pegs and heel guards laying about, since I had installed ProArmor pegs and nerfs on my 450R.

If I bolt up the 450R peg through the rear peg mounting hole into the front frame mounting hole, the peg position is just about spot on where the stock pegs are. So, I have solved two problems, I have nice wide pegs, and heel guards.

The third problem is the front mount. I figure if I could fab up a 5/16 inch thick plate steel with the appropriate holes, the pegs would be mounted up great. Or, grind off the old '86 R peg, leaving that plate steel to bolt the 450R peg to.

Stock 450R pegs can be had for about 10 smacks plus shipping on feebay

So, the point of my post is a fishing expedition wondering if anybody has done this conversion, and if there is an adapter plate for sale somewhere to accomplish this.

I know a lot of purists are gonna say heel guards are the suck, but I don't want run over my foot (again)...

Of course... If I just keep the stock pegs on, it will keep me from riding it too hard and breaking something...:lol:

http://www.atvpix.com/images/atcpegs.jpg

http://www.atvpix.com/images/atcpegs2.jpg

harryredtrike
05-24-2009, 11:14 PM
i think it looks cool,and extra safety is always nice

NewfieBish
05-25-2009, 12:18 AM
dont be retarded, that looks way to new on a bike like that, if you cant ride a 250r for what is was made as, your a wimp lol. and plus, if you got money for a 450r, buy a new headlight shell for that trike cuz those shells kill me, maybe you shoulda had a 350x with alll that white. Ive been about a year tryin to buy back brake parts for my bike, but i still drive it usin the front brakes cuz i love that sh!t! the way it was meant to be

fabiodriven
05-25-2009, 09:14 AM
You gotta see the pegs Deepa has on his R. Nice and huge.

tanks350x
05-25-2009, 09:20 AM
You gotta see the pegs Deepa has on his R. Nice and huge.

here are the pegs that Fabio was talking about
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll124/tankispmaximus/bearbrook3-109019.jpg

JohnR.
05-25-2009, 09:25 AM
Deepa's pegs are really nice but those suckers are $$$.

ceaserthethird
05-26-2009, 04:03 AM
I think they look great, IMS made a Foot peg for the 250R '86 - '87.

OR buy a Set here, one of the members makes them.

SYKO
05-26-2009, 11:20 AM
on my old 350X I welded an extra set of pegs to the stock ones and it looked and worked great.

max
05-26-2009, 01:48 PM
Those guards look sweet man. Nice work. Thanks for sharing.

I will definately be mocking up a set on my R when I get another one.

Kintore
05-26-2009, 02:26 PM
I just took a spare set of pegs I had layin around and cut the pegs off and used the mountin plates.

If you do it right there is JUST enough room to have them set in the stock location (the 450r pegs to the 250 plate)

I was able to weld mine on the plate and still be able to bolt and unbolt the plate/peg from the frame.

Mr.Atc
05-26-2009, 02:34 PM
I don't like the looks of that.....i hate it when people take the original stuff off trikes

ceaserthethird
05-26-2009, 04:18 PM
I don't like the looks of that.....i hate it when people take the original stuff off trikes

Their not for Looks, Functional Peg's !:welcome:

AutoXer
05-26-2009, 04:53 PM
Hagen makes some sick pegs. CGR (crazy german racing )

torker
05-26-2009, 05:21 PM

Then you don't like anything. I think that looks good. To each, his own.
TORKER.

TrikesRule_FOOL
05-26-2009, 07:27 PM
Hey if the get ya riding it that's cool I guess. I'd like wider pegs cause I ride mine hard but I have never felt the need for heel guards. They didn't cost ya anything so that's cool.

Dirtcrasher
05-26-2009, 08:51 PM
I've seen and ridden with DEEPoops and I'd rather see a happy medium.

Cost is nothing, we all know how 3wheelers roll :D but those pegs he has are outrageously sharp and also do not hinge and spring out of the way on impact.

To me that could either mess up your body very badly and also bend the frame on a hard impact.

I think the doubled up pegs done well is a great solution and this 450R deal might work great too...

But I don't think huge, solid mounted and sharp as a chainsaw pegs are the answer to guys that ACTUALLY RIDE :lol: A showtrike is another deal itself.

ScottZJ
05-26-2009, 09:44 PM
Well I have the old school foot fences and I really like them alot. They work great esp with someone with 13 size shoe/boot.

http://www.fototime.com/%7B0B824277-C211-40BB-82F0-E420758B298C%7D/origpict/MVC-009S.JPG

philmoore
05-27-2009, 11:23 PM
I just took a spare set of pegs I had layin around and cut the pegs off and used the mountin plates.

If you do it right there is JUST enough room to have them set in the stock location (the 450r pegs to the 250 plate)

I was able to weld mine on the plate and still be able to bolt and unbolt the plate/peg from the frame.

Alrighty. Thanks for the encouragement. I dug out a set of old bent '85 pegs, and ground them down. Then, welded the 450R pegs to them and bolted them up.

I am a klutz and I sure wish I hadn't touched the live end of my stick welder to the stator cover whilst flailing around amongst the mosquitoes... :crazy: I was just trying to "tack" it where I wanted. I didn't weld the whole thing on the bike.

Tomorrow night is paint, and maybe the heel guards. I also need to pick up a couple longer bolts for the front/lower mount holes.

http://www.atvpix.com/images/atcpegs3.jpg

Kintore
05-28-2009, 07:43 AM
PERFECT!

looks just like mine, I then proceded to fully weld mine (in/around the bolt hole closet to the shifter) then wire wheel it down to clean it up a bit.

Then a quick shot of primer and black gloss I was all set.

here is mine- (identical to yours)

also- Mine came with 450r bolts that use allen head vs the normal bolt head. This allowed me to run a fatter and better bead all the way around the peg.
If you do it right, these things are STRONG, im clearin 60 tables with no bendin issues, or vibration issues.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/JoshBall/P2220059.jpg

aaron7
05-28-2009, 10:59 AM
Yah my 84 250r pegs are worn smooth and are slippery... definately need to fix that!

atctim
05-28-2009, 12:04 PM
looks great philmoore. Don't let the armchair riding nah sayers influence you!

Anyone who really "rides" knows how much better these wide pegs are - and I am a fan of the heel guards as well.