PDA

View Full Version : Stripped rear caliper bolts

Ndog
05-24-2009, 04:15 PM
Guys....my restoration is killing me. Ive had to literally hack this thing apart. It seems like every step of the way there are problems.

My rear caliper has stripped pad bolts. The hex slots are rounded. Any ideas??

Dirtcrasher
05-24-2009, 04:40 PM
Do you mean the tiny plastic cover bolts with allens that are in front of the pad bolt itself??

Very easy to drill out or even melt out with propane if you had to but they should be chicken to remove. You may even be able to just cut it with a small exacto knife....

Erics350x
05-24-2009, 05:58 PM
Sounds like he's talking about the sliders

NewfieBish
05-25-2009, 12:35 AM
man i feel your pain. everything ive EVER touched has rounded out or pooped on me.. i think i know what your talkin about, but, if the head of those bolts are stuck out enough, get a dremel and slice a groove in em "for a flat top screwdriver" and use the screwdriver to get em out like screws, ive done it before and worked good (someone on this site told me about it.. if you know who you are, thank you. I love my bike, but i got to say that honda never thought completely about maintenance when they made their bikes, if that dont work for you, you got to get an "EZ" out and drill a hole in the centre of that pain in your you-know and get it out like that, but id try the flat top first..

PS, I hate old bolt and screws.. its funny cuz you usually see it comin before you strip somethin out. (im really shovin on this bolt.. now its done.. wheres those ez outs?"

KASEY
05-25-2009, 12:59 AM
the pins are stainless steel.. the best way to get them out,,,, if the allen socket is stripped,,, drill them out,,just big enough to release the threaded part from the pin,,, you can then tap the pin out the back,,, that way you won't have to try to turn the whole thing,,, then worry about gettting the threadded part out,,, since aluminum swells way faster than steel heat it up and it should come lose! done several this way without a problem at all ,,, :naughty:

RoscoW
05-25-2009, 06:14 AM
X 2 what Kasey said. Done it a few times as well.

Ross..

Erics350x
05-25-2009, 10:05 AM
If its allen heads get a set of allen drivers and hammer the next size up or a standard size in the rounded area. Then remove em with a ratchet

KASEY
05-25-2009, 12:51 PM
just remember you are working with dissimular metals.. and if its rounded out there is probably a reason,,, so don't be pounding to hard or you won't have threads to worry about when your done...

scottp597
05-25-2009, 02:51 PM
On my R one of the pins was seized and stripped. I tried a bit extractor and it cracked and was lodged into the pin. Thanks to the forums I picked up a yz front caliper which was a perfect replacement.

As a last resort try finding a replacement caliper. My 2 cents

Erics350x
05-25-2009, 04:21 PM
just remember you are working with dissimular metals.. and if its rounded out there is probably a reason,,, so don't be pounding to hard or you won't have threads to worry about when your done...

I usually use a c-clamp to get the slides moving first