PDA

View Full Version : 84 ytm 200 primary clutch question

tims200m
05-23-2009, 06:26 PM
i'm having a problem with the primary clutch on my yamaha, it acts as though it has a very high stall clutch or something. when i go to take off i have to rev the hell out of the motor and then after a second or two it will finally grab hard and usually makes me wheelie. i have had this thing apart at least 3 times, and i've taken the clutch out and inspected it, the housing is shiny with no wear and no heat marks and the shoes are not worn at all. is there a way to maybe change the springs so they arent so tight? or just take one side out? please help im sick of driving this thing wide open.

thefox
05-23-2009, 10:57 PM
Sounds like you need new friction plates and springs in the secondary clutch

Howdy
05-23-2009, 11:31 PM
The centrifical clutch and / or drum will cause this problem if it's going bad.
Howdy

tims200m
05-24-2009, 08:58 AM
the secondary clutch is all new- springs, friction plates and steels, the clutch drum isn't worn out at all, no grooves no overheating marks, nothing, so i'm thinking it is that the springs are too tight around the carrier??? i'm pretty stumped, and it doesnt look like the clutch carrier is rebuildable either. i thought about taking a dremel to the inside of the clutch drum to rough it up a bit so the carrier shoes will bite sooner, would this be a good idea?