PDA

View Full Version : 85 250sx carb questions

jeopardy98
05-22-2009, 09:37 PM
So I got the $100 250sx I bought running tonight. When I pulled the carbs they were almost mint. The tank leaked so there hadn't been any gas in the carb for quite some time. I cleaned the float bowl and the main jet and blew everything out good.

I got the new tank and airbox all fixed up and adjusted the choke cable. Once I got it hooked up I kicked it over and she fired up for a second and then died. We did this a few more times before I realized I really didn't have it choked. Once I had the choke on it fired right up.

It ran a bit rough at first and died a few times. I'm guessing it was still just some trash in the carb but I was able to get it to sit and idle and then ride it around the yard for about a half hour. It seemed to run very good except that it would idle too high right after stopping and then it would come back down to idle.

It sat for a few minutes and when I went back over to start it, I had to thumb the throttle just a bit to get it to start. I had not had to do that originally. When I got it running I noticed that it was backfiring terribly as I rode it around.

I know how to clean a carb but I can't tune one for sh!t so my question is where do I need to start with this one? It does not stumble through the gears and runs good at midrange and wide open except for the backfiring. Also it doesn't die when I use the choke once it is warmed up. It just rev's higher. I know that isn't right. It also doesn't have an air filter on it right now but it has the screen and the lid on. Can someone please give me an idea of what adjustments I should start with? TIA.

estranged
05-22-2009, 09:45 PM
did'nt even know there was a 250x but there are manuals here http://72.52.143.80/~trikes/,, and this is a great thread on tuning carbs.
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=55086
good luck,,i am having similar probs too,, :(

jeopardy98
05-22-2009, 10:01 PM
I'm stupid. I meant 250sx. Sorry.

estranged
05-22-2009, 11:59 PM
that's what i thought, just forgot the s,, but i am a noob, so i thought maybe there was a 250x, :)

i dunno much, but that link about the carbs helped me alot,,
also if running no air filter, could be running a little lean, getting to much air,
get air filter in there, or change your jetting,,(recommend air filter tho) :)

estranged
05-24-2009, 08:42 PM
hey man you find out anything yet,,

mine is still doing this too,, cleaned the tank, fuel strainer and screen, cleaned the carb, air box, breather tubes,,

I hate it,, cause runs fine then does this, and dies,, but 2-3 mins later starts and runs fine again,,
im stumped!!

please someone help us out here,,

jeopardy98
05-24-2009, 08:59 PM
Nope I haven't messed with it since that day. I'm guessing with mine I just need to get my carb jetted correctly and set the idle. I don't think it is anything more then that.

I have a big motorcycle trip coming up so I'll probably buy a jet kit and a new plug for it when I return and delve into it then. I'll keep you posted.