PDA

View Full Version : Son wants a TRIKE now.. Trying to figure out how to build it.

86trizinger
05-13-2009, 10:46 AM
Ok well after I just got the 200s my son really wants to build a trike. If we are going to build this as a family project I want it to be nice.. And nothing that going to beat him to death. So here is what I am thinking:

Basing it on a ATC 70 with full suspension.. I just dont know if I should start witha complete bike or build it from scratch since everything is going to be replaced anyways.

Frame Pit bike frame.. Not sure where to get just yet or how much or what brand to get. I plan on gusseting this frame eve before it goes together for added strength.

Front suspension Need to figure out this yet. I know I need to change the triple trees and all.

Rear Swing arm / axle Extreme Typhoon rear swing arm and axle

Engine Lifan 125cc engine

Body Plan on using Stock Honda stuff but may change rear plastic

I need some pointers on where I can get some cheap parts on this or suggestions to make this a really nice bike for him to ride and show off what he built a little.

I appreciate any pointers you may have.

racerxxx
05-13-2009, 02:38 PM
Hey Zinger,

Kasey has some of the hottest 70's on here, check out his builds for some ideas!

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=85888

86trizinger
05-13-2009, 03:04 PM
I love that red one using the SL70 frame.. I foudn someone local that have a SL70 frame for free.. I just dont know waht to do for the rear swing arm amd axle.. I Pmed him for more info.

Thanks for the link
Chris

factoryX
05-13-2009, 05:05 PM
how old is he?

86trizinger
05-13-2009, 05:53 PM
He is 8 About 75 lbs wihtout gear.. his brother is 5 but is very small the total opposite... only 35 lbs

He can fit on my 200s but it is heavy for him to control the weight of the ATV without him flipping over.

bushwacker51
05-13-2009, 05:58 PM
Here is apicture of my pit bike xtreme 3 wheeler. Its made just about how you described you want to make yours. It has a 150cc big bore motor and pipe. Sorry the pictures not any better. Glenn O.

factoryX
05-13-2009, 06:04 PM
for the 8 year old well a atc 70 is to small for him and he will out grow it fast. I'd get him a atc110 -atc125. However, the other being 5 and only 35lbs I would get him the atc 70 lol.. What are feeding him?

86trizinger
05-13-2009, 06:48 PM
They both eat like crazy .. lol... Youngest son has had some medical problems that we are still trying to giure out.. The both weighed almost 9 lbs when they were born. lol...

I think the 70's will work for them both.. He wants something light and moving him up to a 125 adds alot of weight for him.. I plan on extending and raising everythign up a little for him. But it will be fast. Plus he has his DRR 90 that is his fast bike that he is still getting used to.

AS for the extreme .. What frame did you use ? an extreme pit bike frame or what? Was the rear swingarm a direct bolt on? Any info you can give would be great.

torker
05-13-2009, 08:11 PM
What I'm getting is a 125cc chinese pitbike (cheap and plentiful parts) and a chinese quad (plenty to choose from, choose carefully) for the rear suspension, but mostly for the rear bodywork. Also though about a blaster rear end, meaning bearing carrier, axle, hubs etc (parts are cheap and readily available, read bearings, a very big problem with typhoons) but the chain will be a problem (easy to fix to).

Mod the pitbike tripples (wider) and use a quad front hub, complete with rotor and caliper and mount it to the front using pitbike caliper, plus this will use a 10" wheel with plenty of small tire choices. This will dictate your front tripples width.
This are just very few of my ideas.
The ideas are endless. It may or may not be cheap. What I know for sure is that it will be labor intensive and a lot of modding and fabrication.
The end result could be great if it's well thought out.
Go for it. Ohh and gussett, gussett, gussett... This should be a fun project.
TORKER.

mymint87
05-13-2009, 09:16 PM
I appreciate any pointers you may have.

whatever you decide, I would widen the rear track with axle extensions or different hubs (depending on the trike):welcome:

brapp
05-13-2009, 09:17 PM
i ahve an atc70 and apitbike frame and swingrm for ya set up for a 110 style motor if your interested.

Autophysn
05-13-2009, 09:21 PM
for the 8 year old well a atc 70 is to small for him and he will out grow it fast. I'd get him a atc110 -atc125. However, the other being 5 and only 35lbs I would get him the atc 70 lol.. What are feeding him?

As much as I agree, I don't, cause I still ride the hell out of my ATC70 ;)

86trizinger
05-14-2009, 11:56 AM
Well if I go with a pit bike.. It will be quite a bit larger then a stock ATC 70... Although I have a LEM 50 Dirt bike here that runs awesome and loads of top end power. Just would need a rear axle. Its got over 9 inches of suspension travel already and ony weighs 70 lbs. If I did a lighweight swing arm and axle assembly I could probaby keep its weight down to just over 100 lbs or so and have 12 hp into it when its all said and done. Any thoughts on this route

What the deal with some people using a go kart style axle for the rear? Is it strong enough to hold?

torker
05-15-2009, 12:04 AM
Well if I go with a pit bike.. It will be quite a bit larger then a stock ATC 70... Although I have a LEM 50 Dirt bike here that runs awesome and loads of top end power. Just would need a rear axle. Its got over 9 inches of suspension travel already and ony weighs 70 lbs. If I did a lighweight swing arm and axle assembly I could probaby keep its weight down to just over 100 lbs or so and have 12 hp into it when its all said and done. Any thoughts on this route

What the deal with some people using a go kart style axle for the rear? Is it strong enough to hold?

Well, wider is better. If you can keep it under 100 pounds, it will be an achievemnt in itself, prob'lly expensive to. About the go kart axles, they come in different thicknes. I'm not sure how thick, but maybe 1 1/4 inches minimum (it all depends on the bikes intended use, the weight of its rider, etc). Another thing to consider with the go-kart axle are the wheel hubs and finding a hub that fit ATV wheel. Maybe an 8". As I said, it ll depends on what you want or need, everything it's related to cost to. The best a part is the more expensive it gets. Even with chinese stuff. Just my opinion.
TORKER.

86trizinger
05-15-2009, 01:28 PM
Well right now the LEM weighs 71 lbs with gas in it.. I was thinking keeping the stock swing arm but modifying it with a go kart axle and hubs. If I go with aluminum 8" wheels I can get it made for under 130 lbs.. Then when I build the engine will be making 16 hp.. Granted mostly topend but for a 80 lbs rider it should be crazy fast.

What do you have to do to widen the forks?

torker
05-16-2009, 08:31 PM
Most chinese tripples are steel, most. Either way, you just need to figure your width, cut the tripples, add the necesary material and re-weld. The way it's cut and re-welded it's crucial to the strength of the parts. Be it aluminum or steel. It all depends how much your willing to spend.
TORKER.

rugabugadouglas
05-16-2009, 09:25 PM
i built some tripples out of 3/4 inch alumnium it took alot of time but it can be done just use the steering stem off of what ever frame you use

86trizinger
05-16-2009, 09:50 PM
The LEM is italian made.. Its triples right now are made out of aluminum.. I have still trying to decide which route to go or maybe just buy him a 90 or 110 and go from there

torker
05-17-2009, 08:43 AM
The LEM is italian made.. Its triples right now are made out of aluminum.. I have still trying to decide which route to go or maybe just buy him a 90 or 110 and go from there

You can widen aluminum or steel tripples. Actually you have to (If you wanna build a trike). Aluminum it's just more expensive to weld. A 90 or 110 what? Bike, ATC?
TORKER.

86trizinger
05-17-2009, 08:44 AM
ATC sorry.

torker
05-21-2009, 08:36 PM
Unsuspended...both.
TORKER.

86trizinger
05-21-2009, 08:38 PM
well i got my son a 1970 us90... we are going to get this all straight for now and then build a full suspension 90 frame after.

outtaline
05-21-2009, 10:23 PM
post a :pics: I love US90's they are sweet

jason85atc250r
05-22-2009, 12:56 AM
well i got my son a 1970 us90... we are going to get this all straight for now and then build a full suspension 90 frame after.

i have a bunch of stuff for those laying around if you need anything let me know