PDA

View Full Version : Early 80's YT-125 (Now with pictures!)

grio
05-11-2009, 03:57 PM
Hello, all!

New member here. A buddy of mine talked me into looking into getting a trike. Well, lo and behold, I'm now the proud owner of a YT-125. My only problem is, I don't know what year it is. Anyone here have a reference I could use to determine her age? I'm going to ultimately need some newer parts for her, and I'm trying to determine what's what.

By the way, love the site. I've been lurking for about 2 weeks. This is quite the resource.

Thanks all!

G.

the great gazoo
05-11-2009, 04:46 PM
The 80-81 YT125s have a one piece gas tank & also have the smaller 428(?) chain, the next size down from 520, and the throttle is on the handlebar, not below it, like most set ups. I've got a '80 125 w/ some parts for sale, PM me & lemme know what you need, if yours is an 80-81.

MonroeMike
05-11-2009, 04:56 PM
Welcome Grio, if you post a pic that would help.

harryredtrike
05-11-2009, 05:52 PM
welcome to 3ww put your vin in here to id a yamaha numbhttp://www.motoverse.com/tools/vin/yamaha.asper

grio
05-11-2009, 09:35 PM
Great Gazoo,

It appears you are correct. Looks like it's either an 80-81 YT-125G. Still need to figure out exactly what year, but looking up the G on Yamaha's parts show's my machine. I'll get some pics up later. Are there many mods out there for these, or are they pretty much stock? I've not seen a lot of mods for the smaller 2-strokers, but I could just be missing them.

Otherwise, I just have to comment on the low gearing of these bikes. My 125 could eat through puddles and swamps that my buddy's Honda 250sx couldn't get through. He claims better tires on mine, but that low gear is LOW.

Anyone have a preferred vendor for parts? I've looked at a few, and have a few local places, but I like ordering parts online if I can. Aside from eBay, that is. =)

Pictures to come.

Thanks, all!

G.

shadix518
05-13-2009, 10:05 PM
Yea that buddy of his is me i talked him into comeing over to the trike side and ive ridden with him and the smile i see on his face when hes riding his yt-125 is kinda funny because before he bought he was all like ill kill myself on one of those and look at him now haha grats grio on joining the darkside of atv's!!! lol:TrikesOwn

theiizz08
05-13-2009, 11:42 PM
welcome to the forum you will never want to sit on anything else but a trike its like crack, you just keep wanting more. And shadix518 good job at helping out a buddy:welcome:

old-yellow
05-14-2009, 10:16 AM
Welcome to the forum.

Check this link out.
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=86220

grio
05-15-2009, 02:40 AM
Here you go:

There is one picture in there I have questions on. It has to do with the hose connectors on the crankcase. I'm still waiting on a manual to look, but I'm curious where those are supposed to go. I want to seal them off for when I'm in the water; I just don't want to kill a possible pressure release.

Otherwise, enjoy my current kill-switch. =P

Thanks for all your help, guys; this is my new favorite site on the web.

Nick_R_23
05-15-2009, 02:59 AM
With Yamahas, the 'G' should mean 1980.

-Nick :TrikesOwn

MonroeMike
05-15-2009, 10:01 AM
Looks like you're off to a good start with that bike. I see you're looking to upgrade the forks already.

Vealmonkey
05-15-2009, 12:59 PM
The 2 hose connections are for the premix oil pump. If you are premixing your oil and your gas, you don't need the premix oil pump. You can cover those up with vacuum hose caps. Just make sure you plug the oil injection fitting at the carb or you will have a real lean condition and your trike will rev out like crazy! Don't ask. LOL Use the "search" feature at the top of the page and you will find out alot of this info has already been covered and is just waiting for you to find it again. Have fun. And you can pretty much PM anyone on here and they will help out however they can. You will see a couple names pop up in the yt125 and yt175 threads. Those are the people that you should ask. Sometimes we get a little too much hands on experience! LOL

grio
05-15-2009, 05:01 PM
I am completely aware for the rev-out, thanks! Learned that the hard way.

Shadix was going to clear the cylinder with the carb off the bike. Goober left the plug in, and pulled the cord. It hadn't started all evening.

Took off revving like mad. My head was by the exhaust. The gas that was in the cylinder mixed perfect. With the carb off, a spark, and no kill-switch, my wife fell over backwards, Dillon bolted up, and I jumped back from the exhaust as quickly as possible.

She sputtered out as I was trying to piece together the kill switch.

Fortunately she wasn't in gear or I may not have a truck anymore.

A question I was going to ask was on the carb, there are two ports with flexible connecters, IE, they spin. I assumed both were for the oil mixture because they have two columns that run down into the bowl. Am I right? The bike wouldn't run without those being sealed off, and when it did, it sputtered, then took off. Just confirming what I think I already know.

G.

Vealmonkey
05-15-2009, 05:20 PM
If you are talking of the 2 black plastic connections, all they are is vents for the carb. They need to have no plugs on them. The injection port for the oil is a little brass barb that is the same size as the smaller of the 2 attachment points in the picture you have above that you are worried about water getting into. Make sure you have to long plastic hoses attached to the 2 vents on the carb.

grio
06-08-2009, 11:08 PM
I was curious on this. I know what my trike sounds like, but I'm thinking about taking video and posting it. I know Vealmonkey knows what it should sound like; would that be a feasible troubleshooting technique? I've got an idle issue that makes me curious, and I'm wondering if by just seeing it and listening if someone may have more advice?

Don't want to waste anyone's time (including my own) posting video if it wouldn't be helpful.

Thanks!

Vealmonkey
06-08-2009, 11:30 PM
You could try posting a video, but no guarantees.

grio
06-12-2009, 03:15 PM
Quick question: got the forks, but thought I was getting the whole assembly; my fault, not the shipper.

Just making sure this is the only other thing I need to complete the shock assembly conversion:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1982-YAMAHA-ATC-YT-175J-175-J-TRIPLE-CLAMPS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZQ7c301Q3a1Q7c29 3Q3a1Q7c294Q3a30QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em14Q2el1262 QQhashZitem359f135359QQitemZ230302110553QQptZMotor cyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Thanks, guys!

old-yellow
06-17-2009, 12:56 PM
If you got the two front forks then yes thats what you need to put the YT175 front end on.

Alex

Vealmonkey
06-17-2009, 07:42 PM
Not like you would need the front axle or the spacers or the brake assembly or the cables or anything like that. And the front axle for the 175 and 125 are different.

grio
06-17-2009, 08:06 PM
Lovely. So front axle and spacers. No need (to me) for the front brake assembly. Thanks for the heads.

Vealmonkey
06-17-2009, 09:54 PM
If you use the 125 hub, you will probably have to custom make your own spacers. You definitely need the 175 axle though as the axles are different.

old-yellow
06-18-2009, 12:21 PM
My bad I forgot that the 175 front end uses a slightly longer axle then the 125 and different spacers, but you will still be able to put the front end on with out the axle and spacers. Thanks veal for picking up were I forget.

Thanks, Alex

Vealmonkey
06-18-2009, 01:28 PM
I just figured he wanted to ride it after he put the front end on! LOL I've gotten deals where they were missing parts before. Heck, I just recently picked up an it 175 engine that was seized, but I wanted it for all the clutch parts and the top end for the Pro Tec project. Well upon tearing it apart I find out that it has no clutch basket in it and the main shaft on the tranny is broken in 2!!! What a bargain! So now shopping for the missing parts.

old-yellow
06-24-2009, 03:15 PM
So grio did you get all the parts to put on the 175 front end?

Alex

yt125man
12-15-2009, 12:40 AM
thats a 1980 i got the same bike